Otoplasty last week. There is a big hard blood clot in the concha cymba part of my ear in both ears. How do I loosen it? (Photo)

It is very hard to the touch. Went to the surgeon and he tried to take a syringe and remove it but he said it was coagulated. How do I get it to turn back to liquid so he can remove it? What can he do if it is still coagulated when I go back on Monday? Is there anything I can do. Please help. It looks terrible!

It should be removed

Thanks for posting your photos.The surgeon should remove it as otherwise an extra cartilaginos tissue and irregularities can occur.Pls consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.Good luck.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Post op blood clot

The clot can be removed by a small incision in the concha.  The ear would need to be blocked with local anesthetic but the clot can be squeezed out through a small incision (less than 1 cm) and then this can be closed with a few simple sutures and a gentle conforming pressure dressing applied.  This is similar to what is done for wrestlers when hematomas occur after a bout.  

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Blod clot after otoplasty

I think it is very unusual that your surgeon would be OK leaving a hematoma,  if that is what we're talking about here.   The photo looks more like dried packing material on the outside of the skin.   This could be loosened with hydrogen peroxide or vinegar soaks.   Ointment would also help.   Don't do anything that is not approved first by your surgeon,  however.   

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma After Otoplasty

The clot is likely to become liquid within another few days or a week and it can then aspirated with a needle. Otherwise, after numbing the area, a small incision could be made behind the ear or in one of the corners of the conchal fossa and the clots can be squeezed out. A tie-over bandage could be necessary to avoid recollection of blood. The aspiration may have to be repeated once or twice.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon