Cartilage piercings before otoplasty? (photos)

If you already have a pair of cartilage piercings on one of your ears, is it still possible to get otoplasty/surgery fro pinning back my ears? How does it affect the surgery?

Cartilage piercings and otoplasty

Your particular piercings will likely have no effect on otoplasty surgery, as they are not close to any areas of dissection or incisions.  You will likely be asked to remove your piercings the day of surgery, and keep them out for a bit after the operation.  Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear piercings and an otoplasty

It is still possible to undergo otoplasty even if there are  ear piercings are present. The ear piercings will have no effect on the surgery

Cartilage piercings before otoplasty?

These piercings likely will not affect your results. However, I would recommend removing them on the day of surgery and replacing them at 1 week post op to reduce the risk of infection. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon