Will a chin implant change my smile? (photos)

One of my favorite personal features is my smile. Will putting a chin implant in change my smile? I've seen some patients' before and afters and in a lot of their cases, it looks like it has. Can an implant improve my smile?

A chin implant normally does not change your smile

While it might possibly affect the smile, a chin implant normally does not change the smile, especially if it's placed through a small incision under the chin. If you haven't already, then speak with a facial plastic surgeon to help review options with you.

Best.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a chin implant change my smile?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

While the smile and movements, of the mouth, can feel a bit restricted during the early healing phase (week or so) this will go away and there shouldn't be any permanent change to your smile if the chin implants is placed by an experienced Chin Implant Surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant and Smile

A chin implant should not change the smile if done properly.  The smile should only change if there was nerve or muscle damage.  I believe the risk of nerve or muscle damaged is greatly decreased if a chin implant is placed through a small cut underneath the chin as opposed to an implant placed by a cut inside of the mouth.  

Can chin implant improve smile?

Before you do it, nobody can tell it for sure.  It looks like you will benefit of chin augmentation. This procedure will not change dynamics (muscle activity) involved in your smile.

You should discuss this issue with a board certified plastic surgeon after an in person evaluation. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon