Will weight loss make my nose look thinner, or do I need to consider rhinoplasty? (photo)

Would I benefit from rhinoplasty? I was thinking of losing weight first, and maybe seeing how that might change the way my nose fits my face. But even so, I think my nose has always been a little wide for my face, regardless of what I've weighed in the past. I would love some advice on how to fix this problem.

Weight Loss and Nose Size

Unfortunately, weight loss as a sole solution is not sufficient to cause significant changes to the size or shape of your nose. Depending on how much you are hoping to change, a rhinoplasty may be needed. You can get your surgery specifically designed to target the width of your nose, which can make your nose look thinner and more refined.

Appearance of Nose after Weight Loss

Losing weight may change the appearance of your nose because it will be seen adjacent to the surrounding thinner facial structures but it will not make the nose appear thinner. If fact weight loss may have just the opposite effect.

Weight loss and nose shape/size?

Weight loss will not change the size or shape of your nose. Based on your brief history and photos, a natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery could improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you  may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and rhinoplasty

There is no fat in the nose, so  losing weight  will not change the shape of  your nose. To narrow the bulbous tip, suture techniques of the lower lateral cartilages are required. Osteotomies of the nasal bones are required to narrow bridge line. For examples please see the link below

Nose does not change with fluctuating weight.

Weight does not impact nose shape and size.  Based on your photos you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Most of it can be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty technique.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Nasal shape and weight loss

Th answer to your question is no, Weight will not change the shape of your nose. It appears that you have thick skin and a bulbous nasal tip. Changes would have to be done surgically, and they will not change with weight fluctuations.

Good Luck

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will weight loss make my nose look thinner, or do I need to consider rhinoplasty?

Losing weight typically will not reduce the size of your nose.  This can be achieved through a closed rhinoplasty.  It would address the bridge of your nose, as well as, thinning the tip of your nose.

Weight loss will not make your nose smaller.  A closed rhinoplasty can very nicely address your issues to create a natural result.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Will weight loss make nose look thinner?

Weight loss could potentially affect your face but would not make your nose thinner.  The only way to make your nose thinner would be to do so with rhinoplasty surgery.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for achieving a narrower nasal appearance.

Weight loss may not affect the width of your nose on front view, especially in your nasal tip. Consider consulting with several rhinoplasty specialists so you could see if surgery might be right for you.Thank you.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon