Will weight loss make my nose look thinner, or do I need to consider rhinoplasty? (photo)

Would I benefit from rhinoplasty? I was thinking of losing weight first, and maybe seeing how that might change the way my nose fits my face. But even so, I think my nose has always been a little wide for my face, regardless of what I've weighed in the past. I would love some advice on how to fix this problem.

Benefits of rhinoplasty

It is very unlikely that losing weight will change the size of your nose.  In fact, losing weight may make your nose appear larger relative to a smaller face.  

The nose consists of the nasal bones, cartilage, and the overlying skin.  Excessive size of the nose is usually due to disproportion in any of these factors alone or in combination.  The bridge of the nose consists of the nasal bones and cartilage in the lower portion.  Excessive width, or a hump on the nose can be addressed through several techniques to remove the hump and narrow the nose.  The lower portion, or tip of the nose consists of cartilage and skin.  There are often differences in the thickness of the skin from patient to patient, and among different ethnicities.  The size of the nasal tip can be reduced, while also creating the appropriate amount of definition and contour.

In short, if you think that your nose is a little too wide for your face, rhinoplasty would be the best way to address this.  I would recommend identifying your goals and discussing them with your surgeon.

Dallas Physician

Will weight loss change your nose?

Unfortunately, weight loss has little to no effect on the nose. If you are looking to add more refinement and structure to the nose you will need to consider a surgical option.

Research a highly specialized facial plastic surgeon to ensure your nose is in the right hands. He or she should be able to sit down with you and discuss the changes you’re looking to make and how they can be achieved. Don’t be afraid to ask to see photos of his or her own patients with similar facial features - a good surgeon will be happy to provide these for you.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will weight loss make my nose smaller

Many people wonder the same thing.  The nose has no fat so losing or gaining weight will not change its actual size.  It will only change your face and hence the way your nose looks on your face.  This may make your nose look more prominent or less obvious.  You will see once you lose the weight.  If you still feel your nose looks big a rhinoplasty may then be a good option.

Good Luck

Dr Rahban

Rady Rahban, MD

Weight Loss and Nose Size

Unfortunately, weight loss as a sole solution is not sufficient to cause significant changes to the size or shape of your nose. Depending on how much you are hoping to change, a rhinoplasty may be needed. You can get your surgery specifically designed to target the width of your nose, which can make your nose look thinner and more refined.

Sam Rizk, MD

Appearance of Nose after Weight Loss

Losing weight may change the appearance of your nose because it will be seen adjacent to the surrounding thinner facial structures but it will not make the nose appear thinner. If fact weight loss may have just the opposite effect.

Weight loss and nose shape/size?

Weight loss will not change the size or shape of your nose. Based on your brief history and photos, a natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery could improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you  may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and rhinoplasty

There is no fat in the nose, so  losing weight  will not change the shape of  your nose. To narrow the bulbous tip, suture techniques of the lower lateral cartilages are required. Osteotomies of the nasal bones are required to narrow bridge line. For examples please see the link below

Nose does not change with fluctuating weight.

Weight does not impact nose shape and size.  Based on your photos you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Most of it can be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty technique.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Nasal shape and weight loss

Th answer to your question is no, Weight will not change the shape of your nose. It appears that you have thick skin and a bulbous nasal tip. Changes would have to be done surgically, and they will not change with weight fluctuations.

Good Luck

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will weight loss make my nose look thinner, or do I need to consider rhinoplasty?

Losing weight typically will not reduce the size of your nose.  This can be achieved through a closed rhinoplasty.  It would address the bridge of your nose, as well as, thinning the tip of your nose.