Do the first stages of a gynecomastia look like the nipple has been pinched or is this an issue with the procedure style?(photo)

Is the picture shown common within the first weeks of a gynecomastia? I am looking at getting a gynecomastia procedure but am afraid of this being the final result. I don't see many images like this online at any stage and want to feel comfortable with the procedure. I was told the photos on this particular dr's website are taken only 4-6 weeks out. He seemed to disregard this issue. He might be completely right as I'm not experienced in this at all. Please take a look, is this common?

Nipple Appearance After Gynecomastia Surgery?

The photo you have posted looks like an unsatisfactory retracted scar at the border of the areola. This would not be an anticipated outcome, even in the early stages of healing. It is possible that it would improve with time. The more typical standard with post-op photos would be to have the photo taken at 4-6 months  after the surgery to assure that the tissues have reached their final state of healing.

Many gynecomastia procedures are done with only liposuction so it would be very unusual to get this type of scarring of the nipple/areola. Sometimes direct excision of true male breast tissue is required through an incision made at the areolar border. With this type of incision there is the potential for adverse scarring and retraction, however this can almost always be avoided with careful surgical technique and repair of the tissues below the areola.

Do the first stages of a gynecomastia look like the nipple has been pinched?

I have not seen a result like this from gynecomastia surgery, so I do not think this is representative of what to expect from the procedure. Certainly, the more excess skin someone has, the more the risk of skin laxity and irregularities unless skin is removed, but skin removal can leave very noticeable scars. Most patients do not need skin excision, and the skin will redrape satisfactorily. This photo looks like either an uneven or overly aggressive tissue removal, or a patient with way too much excess skin, and probably both.

Pinched nipple after gynecomastia surgery

Thanks for your question and this result is not very common but depending what was done and how you heal scarring can result in contraction of the tissues.  These will sometimes relax over 6-12 months.  If the procedure was done correctly these types of problems are rare. 

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Appearance Post-Op

There are definitely a wide variety of difficulties that can occur with the nipple after the procedure has been completed. There is always the possibility of scarring that does not complete properly or in a flat manner. There is no way to tell if this is a definite as each case is different, and your doctor will be the best to tell you what to expect. 

Do the first stages of a gynecomastia look like the nipple has been pinched or is this an issue with the procedure style?(

This is certainly not a common outcome of gynecomastia reduction.  I would not let one online photo spook you out of having surgery.  Most men are very pleased with the outcome of their gynecomastia surgery.  My guess is that for this one weird photo, there are a hundred good ones!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD