Moderate Vs High Profile Breast Implants to Retain Cup Size?

I am having Breast Implant revision next week due to capsular contracture from the first surgery 11 yrs ago. I have 430cc Saline breast implants under muscle at present and will go back with Silicone breast implants. I am trying to decide between 421cc moderate profile or 425cc high profile. I am currently a 36C and want to keep my same cup size just want a more natural appearance.

Choice of implants

You are comparing a high profile and a medium profile implant. While the two implants have similar overall volumes, with about the same number of cc's, they will have different shapes.

The high profile one will be somewhat narrower from side to side, but rounder. It will give you more fullness and roundness in the upper part of the breast, but possibly less cleavage/ more of a gap. It will tend to look more like "the push up bra" look than the medium profile

The medium profile implant will tend to be a little wider, but give less fullness on the top. In our practice, this shape is a little more popular, but it's really a matter of patient preference. Both can look nice, when they are proportional to your frame, and placed by a skilled surgeon.

Do you know what shape (profile) your current implant is? If you are trying to maintain that exact look, use that information as your guideline.

High vs. moderate profile breast implants? How to tell which you need

This comes up all the time and I often have patients coming in saying, "I need a high profile implant for projection", or ""I need a lower profile implant because I want narrow cleavage". Well, here's the deal. Measure your breast width, that is, where your breast should begin, next to your sternum, to where it ends, on the side. Measure on your chest, so you get the pure width of the base here. Narrow women you should get a 11 here, then 12-13 for medium, then 13.5 and up for a wider chest. Your implant should be about that wide or a little bit narrower. Implants come in a grid of widths and sizes, so if you pick your size, then you pick your width, that gives you the right implant, for you! IF you do an implant too narrow you will get the "tennis ball" effect of having a little but tall implant in your boob. Yuck. If you do too wide, then you can see or feel the implant shell under your arm ie rippling - double yuck. So be smart, and don't get hung up on the labels.

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Saline and Silicone breast imlant sizes- High vs moderate propfile breast implants

usually saline impalnts are perkier than silicone implants. moderate profile breast impalnts give better cleavage and fullness of the upper pole than high profile implants. Also, breasts generally look flatter and smaller after a capsulectomy procedure. You should consider these points in deciding on the size of new breast implants.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Moderate vs High Profile Breast Implants

Both companies that make breast implants, Allergan and Mentor, have three styles of implants, low, moderate and high profile. High profile implants have a relatively small diameter with a greater projection to diameter ratio than the other implants. Low profile implants have a much lower projection to diameter ratio. Moderate are in between.

For a majority of patients the moderate profile implants look the most natural. High profile implants can work well in women with a narrow breast width. Low profile are good to add upper pole fullness in an augmentation mastopexy.

Implant profile

It is impossible to tell what would look good without a discussion and examination. I would suggest bringing in some "wish pictures" since this gives the best idea of what you think is attractive. I have patient who would be happy going from an A to a B and others that want to go from an A to a DD. It must be individualized to the patient.

How to Determine Implant Profile and Size

I have found it most helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. This gives me detailed standardized views and information both qualitative (shape, perkiness) and qualitative (size) and allows me to discuss with my patients how I can best achieve their objectives as well as realistic expectations. For example, though I always tell my patients that I cannot make them exactly the same as a photo because everyone has different anatomical constraints. However, these ”ideal” breast photos are brought to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to best achieve their wishes. Even if the photo does not match their height or weight, I and most plastic surgeons are very good at translating the proportionality of the photo to your features.
I personally use sterile implant “sizers” (temporary implants) placed in the created implant pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you in both a sitting and lying down position. This also allows me the opportunity to modify the pocket to meet some of the more subtle shape features desired and allows me to decide if a high profile vs Moderate profile implant is best suited for my patients

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

It depends on your proportions.

Dear Doody,

The volume and profile is just part of the equation. Your surgeon needs to pick an implant that is appropriate for your proportions. The diameter of your breast, distance from nipple to infra mammary fold, and skin envelop characteristics are all important factors in deciding what implant would give you a natural appearance. There is only a 4cc difference in volume between your two implant choices but there is almost 1.5 cm difference in diameter and a 1cm difference in projection between the 421 and the 425cc implants. This could mean the difference between a natural and a "done" look to your breasts.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

How to Choose Your Implant

These two different implants will create a similar result with some difference in the shape. However, the best way to determine your implant size is by having your surgeon measure your breast width. Ideally, you want the implant to be the same size as the width of your breast. If the implant is too narrow or too large it can create both medical and aesthetic problems. The high profile implant will provide more fullness and roundness in the upper part of the breast but will be narrower from side to side. The medium profile implant will not provide as much upper pole fullness but will be wider. Ask your surgeon to provide a sizing test during your consultation so you can see your potential result in the mirror. This will provide the most accurate representation of your look after surgery. A skilled surgeon can help guide you with determining which implant type is most appropriate for your body frame and aesthetic goals.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

What size breast Implants for a revision surgery?

A plastic surgeon using biodimensional planning principals can help you best determine the ideal size, shape and placement  of your breasts implants. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

implant exchange

It is difficult to determine whether or not a high-profile implant suit your needs.    Some of this is based on whether or not you had a high profile implant to begin with and how much that implant was filled at the time of surgery. Over the years with implants or without implants breasts tend to lose volume, and thus removing replacement of breast implants generally requires a slightly bigger implant than the previous one to account for some of the tissue loss and restore the volume. High-profile implants tend to give more upper pole fullness and projection while moderate plus or moderate implants tend to fill out the width of the breast better. Implant selection has become more and more confusing with a larger variety of implants available to the market today than 10 years ago. I would seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who's familiar with breast revision surgery to help you make your decision.