What kind of results can I expect with a rhinoplasty?

I'm unhappy with how bulbous the tip of my nose is, and I also dislike my nostrils. I'd like a slimmer, more defined nose. I guess I'd like a more "Caucasian" looking nose. However, I'm not sure if it's possible for me. Based on my pictures, can you tell me what kind of results I should expect? Also, looking at my nose, what would you change (without what I want in mind)? I should mention that the last picture is what I want my nose to look like...

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Bulbous tip and wide nostrils

Based on the photographs presented the nose will look much better after alar plasty to narrow the wide nostrils and a tip plasty to define the tip.  The side view was given that would help determine if a graft on the dorsum of the nose will improve the overall appearance.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photographs, it is possible to perform a tip narrowing and refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts can also be performed to improve the tip refinement. You also may want to reduce the dorsal hump of the nose with bone rasping and cartilage trimming. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Wants more Caucasion looking nose

There are no side view pictures of your nose and the quality of the photos is poor.  But just looking at what you submitted I think you could get a "slimmer" more streamlined nose by conservative removal of tip cartilage along with grafting of the nostril to make the nostril straighter and the tip more defined.  You may need a graft in the tip as well using cartilage from the inside of your nose.  I would also use a graft on the top or bridge of your nose to straighten and elevate the bridge.

Please understand that without an exam this is all just "my best guess'.  Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty and get 2 opinions. I think you can achieve your goals.

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

What kind of results can I expect to improve my nose?

Your photographs show that you have thick skin with a wide nasal base and a bulbous tip. The nose can be refined by trimming your lower cartilages in your nose and reshaping it with sutures.  Because of your thick skin cartilage grafting will also be needed to make the changes more visible. It's difficult to really see in Your photographs but to also look like you may need a dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you see a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon in person and feel comfortable with their skill and your interaction with them.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

If your skin is very thick refinement is not as easy as with someone whose  tissues are thinner.  Best of luck.

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can only accomplish narrowing the tip cartilages and nasal bones. Thick skin will be a significant impediment seeing a very refined result, especially in the tip of the nose. The nostrils can also be narrowed with an alar plasty procedure.

While there is no substitute for an in-person examination and consultation, you appear to have thick, ethnic skin and a bulbous tip.  Your expectations should be realistic given your skin thickness.  You should not expect to achieve the kind of nose shown in your last picture.  The skin thicknesses are quite different.  That said, an improvement can certainly be achieved.  Seek a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist that has expertise in ethnic noses.  Best wishes.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Well performed rhinoplasty surgery may lead to a narrower nasal appearance.

Your photos are cropped and limited for evaluation, but you appear to have an ethnic, broad nose with thick skin - the angle between your nose and forehead may be deep.

We advise our patients that the goals of rhinoplasty are improvement of what you have, not transformation. You may not be able to attain a Caucasian result, simply because your tip skin may be thick and this is not changeable.

May I suggest visiting several reputable ethnic rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what to expect after well performed rhinoplasty. Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Tip Rhinoplasty

Hi,

Ethnic Rhinoplasty is a highly specialized subspecialty in plastic surgery. New techniques have been developed over the past 15 years to address cosmetic concerns for this subgroup of patients. Seek an opinion from a surgeon who performs many of these many Ethnic rhinoplasties. If you do some online research, you will see which surgeons perform Ethnic and Bulbous Tip Rhinoplasty. You can also get computer imaging to see what your results will look like after surgery.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS