I have a round face w/ wide spread out nose. I'm thinking about Rhinoplaty. The result I'm looking for- is it possible? (photo)

Hello, I've hated my nose since I can remember.when I'm talking to people, they grab their own nose while talking to me( my nose is that humongous.)I've decided to have the surgery.I have my first consultation this Friday 12/18/2015. I was thinking to tell the Surgeon that I want the bridge elevated just a bit, a refined nasal tip, and narrow rares. Is this achievable all I one section? I don't want to have to come back for revisions. Or what technique would work? Are my expectation unrealistic?

Rhinoplasty for refinement

Thank you for giving us good pictures and views to help in our evaluation.  Dorsal augmentation to elevate from the radix or "root" of the nose, which is the low area at the level of the eyes, to the tip of the nose will raise your profile. Because this will raise the mid-line of your now it will begin to make the nose appear narrower. This is usually done with a cartilage graft from your septum, but may also be done with an implant. Another graft, which is called a columellar strut will give more projection to your tip and also supplement the dorsal onlay graft.These two grafts and techniques to make your tip more defined and delicate will give you the shape that highlights this part of you facial appearance. Alar base resections will narrow the width of your nose.  Some surgeons will recommend that this be an open rhinoplasty and others may recommend a closed rhinoplasty with most incisions inside the nose, except the alar base reductions. Select a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience doing both cosmetic and reconstructive rhinoplasties and septoplasties on various ethnicities.  I believe that you have realistic goals and may be pleased with the results.  Sometimes it may be worthwhile to consult several surgeons.  Good luck

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.
In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol C.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose. To narrow a wide bridge line requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. To narrow wide nostrils requires an alar-plasty. Some patients also require a cartilage graft inserted across the bridge of the nose to give additional height. Thick skin will be a significant impediment to seeing a very refined result, especially in the tip of the nose. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

Ethnic - African American Rhinoplasty

I think bridge elevation is appropriate in your case. In addition, to tip refinement to reduce the bulbous tip and nostril narrowing. Your rhinoplasty falls into the "more challenging" category so make sure you choose your surgeon wisely.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Expectations

Your expectations are realistic and you definitely can have it on a single rhinoplasty surgery. Revisions for rhinoplasty or for any other surgery might always be possible.
Ask your surgeon the ratio of revisions and you will see that statistically it is not more than %1-2

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Sounds reasonable to me

Thanks for your question.  I think what you are saying all sounds reasonable.  Rhinoplasty is all about expectations.  If your expectations are reasonable, then you are likely to be happy with the result.  If you came in with a picture of Michael Jacksons nose and said you wanted that....then your expectations would not be very reasonable.  Make sure your surgeon has some experience with African American Rhinoplasty.  Even thought the principles are the same, the techniques are a little different.  Most people want to maintain some of their ethnicity but just want to soften some of the features that they don't like.

Good Luck

Hi Mafille, The things that you don't like  about your nose can be taken care of with a rhinoplasty. This will typically involve elevating the bridge narrowing and refining the tip narrowing the nostrils this will all be done during one surgery.  The details of the surgery will be more thoroughly discussed at your consultation.  Your expectations do not seem unrealistic. Thanks for the question. 

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon