Am I a good candidate for otoplasty ? Also, worried about looking very different post-op.

I am considering getting an otoplasty but am worried about looking very different from the surgery. would i be able to get this surgery without anyone noticing ? I have been told by several doctors that my ears have deep conchal bowls and lack of an anti-helix. One doctor recommended dissolvable sutures and another recommended permanent. Thoughts ??

Otoplasty Questions

If the appearance of your ears is bothersome to you, I think you are a good candidate for Otoplasty.  It is important to discuss your goals with your surgeon and to make a plan together so that they can best deliver the natural result that you want. Everyone's ears are unique, and each ear sculpting surgery can be tailored to your individual needs and interests.  Once you and your surgeon agree on a plan then the benefits of various techniques or sutures to achieve that goal will follow.  I would value finding a Facial Plastic Surgeon or a Plastic Surgeon that you feel comfortable and confident with.  I wish you all the best!

New York Otolaryngologist

Otoplasty, been told by several doctors that my ears have deep conchal bowls and lack of an anti-helix.

Hi, I have performed many ear-shaping procedures (Otoplasty) over the past 30 years. I remove excess conchal bowls and use permanent sutures to create the anti-helical fold.  Dissolvable sutures are used to close the incision which is hidden in the crease behind the ear but shouldn't be used for any other part of the Otoplasty in my humble opinion. From the photos, you do appear to be a good candidate for an Otoplasty but should see an experienced "Otoplasty Surgeon" to discuss the degree of "correction/ear shaping" that you desire.  We perform Otoplasty in adults using local anesthetic in about 30 - 45 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Otoplasty Questions

Thank you for your question. Otoplasty is recommended for patients with prominent ears. Prominent ears are usually the result of deep conchal bowls and lack of an anti-helix. The procedure can reduce the height of the conchal bowl and create a more defined anti-helix. In my practice, I use permanent sutures in the cartilage to re-create the anti-helical fold in order to promote a long-lasting result; but this may vary from surgeon to surgeon. I typically use a dissolvable suture in the skin, hidden behind the patient's ear. Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon can help you get a better idea about whether your results will be noticeable to others as they can demonstrate what you might look like after the procedure by showing you what results to expect. Typically, the prominent part of the ear will be closer to your head and less noticeable than before. Good luck to you.