Can minor cauliflower ear be corrected ? (Photo)

Elevation skin of concha can be fix ?

Doctor Answers 3

Ear Deformity/Otoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photographs.   You have a secondary deformity after ear surgery. Based on the second photograph, you had conchal cartilage removed, which is usually done for revision rhinoplasty. You have scarring in the upper conchal bowl.   

It also  appears that the upper part of your ear was prominent.  This is usually corrected with sutures to reform the cartilage as part of otoplasty. You antihelix is thick and wide.  I suspect these sutures would need to be replaced.   I recommend seeking a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to evaluate your ear.

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Ear evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your question. Otoplasty techniques for ear cartilage reshaping can be used to improve your ear.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Otoplasty for post-traumatic deformity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


       Cauliflower deformity can be improved with otoplasty surgery.  The exact approach depends on the degree and location of the deformity.  From your pictures, it appears relatively mild.  Often this can be improved by contouring the remaining cartilage (either with scalpel or drill) and removing some of the excess scar tissue.  It is best to wait sufficient time from the actual injury to let the inflammation and scarring resolve.  And of course an in-person consultation would be needed to palpate and view the ear from multiple angles, and give more accurate information on the surgical best approach and realistic expectations.  Good luck. 

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.