Acne scars; would microneedling, laser or dermabrasion be best?

I am 65 years old with acne scars from years ago. I would like to know if microneedling or laser or dermabrasion is best. So far I have been having glycolic peels, which I love but would like something more longlasting. Thank you Gina

Acne Scars - best treatment Fractora

Dear Gina, thank you for your question. 
All the treatments that you mention are good (micro needling, laser etc ) but the best in my experience and the most effective is Fractora - a fractionated micro needling delivery of radio frequency energy that tightens, tones and retexturises the skin, significantly diminishing the appearance of acne scars with just one treatment. Make sure you seek a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon who specializes in multiple non-invasive techniques to be able to best advise you on a treatment that is right for you with minimal or no downtime. That coupled with application of the latest in Skin Care at the same time, namely Defenage (4th generation Stem Cell) will give you amazing results !
Best Wishes in your quest, Dr. Anna PetropoulosBoston's North Shore

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Gina, great question. Microneedling is an excellent option to improve acne scars because it is fairly inexpensive and it has minimal pain as well as fast recovery. Depending on the amount of acne scars you have a series of microneedling treatments may be needed to achieve the results you look for. On the other hand doing something more aggressive such as a dermabrasion, which is not performed very often anymore due to the amount of downtime and secondary infections, could give you faster results with less treatments. It all depends on how much time you are willing to spend to improve your skin as well as the down time you are willing to have. There are other options that are more aggressive than microneedling, but still have less downtime than dermabrasion such as profractional resurfacing or Halo. The best thing for you would be to schedule a consultation with a professional and see what the have to offer. Hope this helps, regards Dr. S. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon