Is Botox to glabella and crows feet dangerous to eyesight since you can't squint/frown to block the sunlight?

People naturally squint/frown in the sunlight to shield their eyes from the bright light. People in need of a browlift or eyelid surgery may actually complain of visual obstruction/dimming of light due to excess skin blocking the visual field. When we frown, this gives a similar effect and blocks some of the light. But what happens when botox takes away this ability to squint/frown in bright light? Does this damage vision since we can't shield our eyes from the light without hat/sunglasses?

Answer to whether Botox can compromise eyesight by changing eyelid function?

bobinhood,

No, there is still sufficient motion of the orbicularis muscles around the eyes to allow adequate squinting and narrowing of the lid opening (palpebral fissure) in bright light. In fact there is no change in eyelid closure function with Botox treatment.  Botox merely paralyzes the crows foot lines below and lateral to the corner of the eyelid, creating cosmetic improvement with no functional compromise. I hope that this helps clarify your understanding.  A link to information about Botox cosmetic use is found below.

Tom DeWire, MD, FACS  

Richmond, VA    

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Botox and sunlight

I always recommend to wear sunglasses to everybody. Sunglasses can help prevent ultraviolet damage to the eyes and reduce the risk of cataracts. When you do Botox if your Botox reduces your ability to squint then sunglasses are mandatory. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

You can still squint

After your Botox treatment in these areas, you are still able to squint, however, not all muscles that were previously used will be involved to the same extent. Therefore, you can still close your eyes in the sunlight, but your frown and crow’s feet will be diminished.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox to the glabella and crow's feet is not dangerous to your eyesight. You will still maintain the ability to close your eyes in bright sunlight. Thank you for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Botox treatments for your crows feet and 11 lines will not take away your natural ability to squint to protect your eyes to the sun since only 1/4 of the orbicularis (eye) muscle is being treated.  In general, on a sunny day, it's a good idea to wear sun glasses and protect your eyes from the UV light. 

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Is #Botox to #glabella and #crow's feet dangerous to #eyesight ?

The best way to shield your eyes and block the sun is to close your eyes. Properly performed Botox injections will not interfere with your ability to close your eyes. It is also a very good idea to wear sun glasses not only to delay the onset of frown lines and crow's feet but also to protect your eyes. This is even more important in my area, Denver, as the sun is so intense most days out of the year. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

I recommend patients wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from UV light.

Thank you for your question. I recommend patients wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from UV light.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and Sunlight

My suggestion to everyone getting botox is sun protection, glasses and to use lubricant eye drops if they normally have dry eye.  This is likely not necessary at all, but something I recommend as prevention.  There is nothing long term that has shown eye issues after botox injection in or around the eyes in the appropriate locations. Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and eyesight

Botox brand treatment is perfectly safe when injected by a well-trained professional.  The effect it has on lifting the brow should not prevent the eyelid muscles from squinting or closing the eyes in response to bright light.

David J. Hecker, MD
Pompano Beach Dermatologist

Botox

Botox will neutralize the effect of the muscles that are injected.    It should not impact your ability to close your eyes. If in the sun you feel you can't squint then you should wear sunglasses.