How long does Botox in the chin last?

I'm 29 years old and I have a very small chin which dimples a little bit when I close my mouth. I have heard that botox in the chin area is pretty inexpensive compared to other areas. My concern is that the results may not last very long. I would like to know in average how long do the results in the chin area last and how many units would be safe to start with. Thank you!

Botox for a dimpled chin

I generally inject from 5 to 10 units, which would cost about $100 or more. The higher doses last longer, but typically the effect in smoothing the chin lasts from 4 to 6 months.

I hope this is helpful!

All the best, Dr. Clark

Botox in chin

Botox may be used to treat an overly active mentalis muscle, responsible for dimpling in the chin.  Treatment may range from 8 to 20 units, depending on muscle bulk and activity, gender, and various other factors.  Botox treatment in the chin lasts 3-4 months, though I have some patients report improvement for up to 6 months.  You would be best served by an in-person consultation with an a plastic surgeon or dermatologist with a keen understanding of facial anatomy and extensive experience with neuromodulator treatment.  You should discuss your concerns with an experienced injector and develop a treatment plan; a follow-up visit 2 weeks after Botox injections can also be helpful.  Because Botox provides a dose-dependent response, one's  treatment results typically improve as the injector better knows the individual patient's anatomy.
I see mentalis strain, or hyperactivity of the mentalis muscle, in patients with weak chins commonly.  The theory behind this phenomenon is the mentalis is in a state of near-constant contraction to help keep closed the lower lip, which is poorly supported by the weak chin.  An exam of your facial bone structure and dental alignment and occlusion could help you determine whether mentalis strain and chin insufficiency are present, and whether treatment is necessary. 

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for treatment of chin dimpling and peau d'orange

Great results can be achieved to soften chin dimpling with small amounts of Botox (typically 5-10 units).  The duration of effect will average 3-4 months depending on the strength of the muscle and the dosage used.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox for Chin muscles

Al3xandra,

Botox to the chin treats thin depressor muscles that create the golf ball dimples when activate.  They also pull down on the central lip.  Treatment generally requires 10-15 units, and costs will vary depending upon the doctor.  As in all Botox treatments, the first time treatment will take longer to have its effect (3-8 days) and may not last as long the first time.  With subsequent treatments, the onset is generally faster and duration may be extended 3-4 months, or occasionally longer.  I hope that this helps.   

Tom DeWire, MD, FACS

Richmond, VA

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the chin for mentalis muscle strain

Botox in the chin for mentalis muscle strain should last about 3 months.

To be sure, see two or more licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have these treatments.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox to the Chin

Botox is a great treatment for a dimpled chin.  The dose required will vary from patient to patient but typically I use around 5-8 units, depending on the muscle size.  Duration of effect in the chin is similar to elsewhere in the face, typically 3-4 months.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin Botox

Like many other areas of the face that are treated with Botox, results last about 3-4 months for the chin, or possibly a little longer. The number of units needed to address your concern would be determined by your medical injector during your consultation, although since you are a "first timer", it may be on the lower end so that your reaction to treatment can be gauged first. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox life

Like anywhere else if it works as it should and not over diluted by inexperienced or disreputable injector 3-4 months

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Botox in chin

For many patients unwanted chin dimples can be treated very successfully with Botox.  Botox works best when it is given by an experienced injector who will evaluate your situation and customize a treatment that will work for you.  In general Botox usually lasts 3 to 4 months (so people who really stay on top of their Botox usually come in about three times a year for a treatment.  There are certainly some patients who's treatments can last 6 months.

Hope this is helpful.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox in the Chin

Botox generally lasts 3-4 in the chin.  Everyone one is different, results can possibly last up to 6 months. Best of luck. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD