Can too much Botox cause nose wrinkles?

I'm getting fine lines on nose two weeks after Botox injections for crows feet, 11's, & forehead wrinkles. I received 31 units total, is that a lot? Is it ok to go back for bunny lines or will that cause more lines somewhere else?

New Nose Wrinkles after Botox Treatment of Other Areas

Sadiesmusic,

I would not expect significant change in muscle activity of the nose after treatment with Botox elsewhere, although treating the corrugator muscles that lead to the formation of the "11" (glabellar frown lines) sometimes can change the balance of the muscles at rest in the area of the "bunny lines" along the sides of the mid-nose.  I suppose that could cause the lines you are referencing, though I have not seen that happen.  31 units is in the range of treatments for these areas, though I often use as much as 37-40 units for forehead, glabella ("11") and crows feet.  In any event, the effects are completely reversible as the muscles regain function.  I hope that this helps.   More information is found on the link below.

Tom DeWire, MD

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Nose wrinkles after botox

31 units is not a lot at all, for having had all of these areas done. Some patients find that by treating the glabellar region, or “11”, other muscles start to compensate for the diminished movement in that area, for example, the bunny lines region. I would recommend that you have the bunny lines treated as well so that all the lines are softened out.

Nose wrinkles after Botox injection

Your injections are not causing the wrinkles but if you treat the muscles that control movement of the eyebrows without treating the adjacent muscles which causes the nose to wrinkle, the nose wrinkling muscles can become more apparent.  This can be easily addressed of putting a bit of Botox In those muscles.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for Bunny Lines

No, Botox doesn't cause bunny lines.  No, 31 units is not a lot.

The bunny lines have probably become more apparent because of your treatment in other areas.

It is okay to get the bunny lines, caused by the nasalis muscle, treated with Botox Cosmetic.

To be sure, see two or more licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have these treatments.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox and Nose Wrinkles

Botox is fabulous for the crow's feet, 11's and forehead wrinkles.  It sounds like you had the correct amount of Botox placed.  These injections do not treat the area around the nose called bunny lines.  You can certainly go back and have a small amount of Botox injected into this area as well.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in cosmetic facial injections.

Wrinkling elsewhere following Botox

Dear Sadiesmusic:

Botox stops the chemical signal from the nerve ending to the muscle fibers the nerve distributes to. Your brain though continues to send signals to produce the emotional or functional expression you desire and may contract nearby or other muscles in an attempt to produce a similar action. This may have occurred prior to the Botox injection but you didn't notice or following the Botox injection as a "recruitment" to the muscle(s) weakened. 

Yes, you may go back to inject the "bunny lines" now that they have shown up. Expect that the use of Botox is a dynamic process due to this rebalancing of muscle activity and requires good evaluation, art and skill for it's proper use.

Choose your injectors wisely and they will help you achieve your goals. Good luck!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox and nose wrinkles

If you try to use those muscles to do what the muscles that are blocked by botox were doing, then yes its possible to have muscle recruitment. This would create wrinkling in the nose.

K. Renee Hamlet, MD
Columbia Dermatologic Surgeon

Can too much Botox cause nose wrinkles?

Bunny lines may develop after botox treatment to the 11 lines and forehead. Bunny lines are often treated with a small amount of botox with excellent overall results. The number of units you already received seems appropriate. Thanks for your questions. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Botox nose wrinkles

Botox relaxes muscles around the eyes. To compensate the untreated nasalis muscle of the nose can become more noticeable when trying to frown. 

John Fezza, MD
Sarasota Oculoplastic Surgeon

Nose Wrinkles

It sounds like you had the appropriate amount of botox for those two areas, although sometimes even larger doses are used for people with significant dynamic wrinkles.  It is hard to tell which lines are bothering you without a photo.  Have your doctor take a look to see if more treatment may help.

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon