How can I know that my nose sticks too far from my face & how to measure it?

Ideal tip projection

Although the question seems rather simple, the answer is a little bit more complex and complicated. There are many ways to measure tip projection and what the ideal tip projection is for a given patient. This greatly depends on multiple other facial parameters such as chin projection, upper lip length, etc. As an example, the nasal tip should project further in patients with a strong chin on profile view and vice versa, should not project too much in patients with a weaker chin on profile view. Other patient characteristics such as ethnicity, skin thickness, etc. play an important role as well. I suggest you see a rhinoplasty expert for an evaluation and discuss whether or not you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty operation. Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am assuming since you're asking the question that you think that your nose is too large. If this is the case, you should consult with a rhinoplasty expert who can not only measure your nose but also look at your height and facial features and make professional recommendations on the changes that would best suit your face. Yes, there are aesthetic ideals and measurements that can be discussed but rhinoplasty is an art and it is much more important that your nose fits your height and facial shape rather than conforming to an arbitrary number. Best.Stephen Weber MD, FACSDenver Facial Plastic Surgeon

projection of the nose

A rhinoplasty procedure is not a mathematical  equation, it's an artform. A full set of photographs of the entire face are required to make a determination about overall projection of the nose in relation to the chin and other facial features.  For many examples, please see the link below to our before and after rhinoplasty photo gallery

Nasal tip projection

Hello and thank you for your question. Nasal tip de-projection is one of the most challenging maneuvers in all of rhinoplasty.  If good surgical technique is used, this can be performed and greatly help in the overall appearance of the nose.  Make sure you specifically look cases of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Measurements are not relevant

There are no standard nose lengths to compare.  More importantly is if your nose is proportional to your face.  This can be determined by clinical photography.  Overall if you think your nose is to long, then probably you should have a consultation to consider surgical options.  It's the overall harmony of your face and nose that matters.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

How can I know that my nose sticks too far from my face & how to measure it

The projection of the nose (how far it sticks out) is measurement that can be done in the office.What's more important is how that number compares to other measurements of your face. Bigger foreheads and chins need a bigger nose to balance the face. This can also be performed with photographs and computer imaging software. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to mesure Nose Parts

There are different types of sofware that can help surgeons and patients with mesurments.  The most recent one I have in My office is a 3D sofwere that can mesure  all parts of the nose . With this  sofware th Plastic Srgeon can also work on a plan for the Rhinoplasty with the patient.

Luis Pavajeau, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon