Can I clear up some of the dried mucus and blood after Rhinoplasty?

three weeks post-op. i have dried blood around the inside of my nostrils and was wondering how i could clear it up? i'm scared about ruining the stitches inside. then again, i have dissolvable stitches inside and am not sure where they were placed.

Rhinoplasty postop care

You can use Q tips soaked in hydrogen peroxide to clean the nostrils and use a lot of saline spray. RegardsDr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dried blood in nose

At three weeks you should be well on your way to healing.  I often allow patients to use q-tips gently after showering from the 1 -3 weeks mark and light blowing after that. You are best to ask your surgeon

Dried crusting after rhinoplasty

Dried crusting after rhinoplasty is not uncommon. Sometimes just a warm shower can provide the heat and humidity to loosen things up. Nasal saline is also helpful to loosen crusts. In your case, you should ask your surgeon what to do, as only your surgeon knows exactly what was done in your operation and what is safe for you.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Blood in nose 3 weeks post op

I often have my patients use bacitracin or Vaseline to soften the crusting and dry blood after surgery. It is a little unusual to still have dry blood 3 weeks after surgery. please check with your surgeon