Recently underwent rhinoplasty and saddened by results. Is this swelling or just unsatisfactory results? (photo)

I've had the cast off within the last week. yes the small dorsal hump on my nose has been removed but the size of the nose has not decreased nor is there a curve/slope like my surgeon said there would be. i am devastated. In your medical opinion does there look like there is swelling in my nose? will my nose change over time? is it likely or unlikely that a curve/slope will appear?? please help 

Too early to tell

The nose following rhinoplasty takes a year to a year and a half for you to see your final result. Even the smallest amount of swelling can alter the nose's appearance.  I would follow your surgeons instructions carefully and keep all appointments.

Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

First, computer imaging results can not always be replicated in the operating room due to many variables. Second, you are very early post-op and likely very swollen. You need to give it a year or longer to settle.

Rhinoplasty

First its important to wait at least a few weeks to see the final result.  There still may be soft tissue swelling affecting the appearance of the dorsum.  If the fullness of the dorsum persists, this can be corrected with additional dorsal resection.  So although not ideal, you can still have the nose you desire.  Best wishes, Dr. T.

Post-op rhinoplasty

It takes an entire year to form a mature scar - that's how long it takes for the body to heal. You are too early in the process to make any determinations about your result.  Make sure to keep you follow up appointment with your surgeon and follow their postoperative instructions.

Good luck!

Dr. E

Recovering from rhinoplasty and evaluating your result

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result.

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. 

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with rhinoplasty

I am sorry to hear you are disappointed with your results.  However, it is difficult to evaluate your results this soon after surgery due to swelling.  Swelling can take up to 6-12 months to resolve after a rhinoplasty.  I encourage your to give it some more time to heal.  If you are still disappointed after 6-12 months, you would want to discuss this further with your surgeon. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Too soon to judge your results

I am so sorry that you are unhappy with your results but it is way too soon to judge. Your body is healing and yes, there is swelling. It may take up to 6 months for it to fully resolve. For now, be patient and kind to yourself as your body recovers. If you are still unhappy at the 6 month mark, schedule an appointment to speak with your surgeon.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

Thank you for the question and photos.  I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in your rhinoplasty results thus far.  The good news is that it is still very early and the amount of swelling that can be present early on after a rhinoplasty can be significant.  Give it plenty of time and try to be patient and optimistic.  We know there is a lot of swelling there and when the swelling finally goes down with time you will likely have a lower bridge height.  At that point, perhaps 6 months into your recovery, you can make an educated decision about the final result and if you bridge should be lower still.

Good luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD