Fake pig looking nose after rhinoplasty cast removal. What should I do to make the tip drop? Will taping help? (Photo)

I insisted that I wanted a very natural change and my plastic surgeon agreed that he would not lift the tip or give me an unnatural nose. However, my cast was removed on day 7 and I have been crying every since. It has been 10 days since my surgery and my nose is very pig like and looks very fake. Can taping drop the tip? I know patience is key but I am just going crazy with how awful my results are. My immediate results after cast removal were even worse than the pictures above.

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

Dear justjared, Taping will not help drop the tip of your nose and only time and healing will do the trick. You are early in the recovery phase and have substantial swelling that will start resolving in the coming weeks to months. See your surgeon often as he/she knows best what your proposed results were and where you are in the recovery phase as well as what exact techniques were used during your procedure. Hopefully frequent visits will provide you some peace of mind. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Not your Final Result

Don't cry.  You have substantial swelling that is affecting the appearance of your nose, including tip rotation into an upturned/piggy appearance. Please give yourself three months before you make judgement. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Too soon to judge your results

I am so sorry to hear how upset you are with your results. I understand how frustrating it is to not have the nose that you want immediately, but at 10 days post op, it is way too early to judge your results. For now, be patient and let your body heal. If you are still unhappy at the 6 month mark, speak with your surgeon about revision options. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Nasal contour

It is difficult to assess the degree to which the nose may have been raised because the pre-op photo is a frontal (as opposed to lateral) view and it is taken while smiling (which frequently lower the nasal tip). 

Nevertheless, you are only seeing a one week result, which is far far from the final result. Give it time to settle and relay your concerns to your surgeon. You most likely be happy that you did. 

Tip rotated too much

Your tip will continue to drop over the first three months; I agree that your nasolabial angle is too wide, looks like a 125 degree; ideal angle for a female is 105 degrees.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Nasal Tip to high

Hi JustJared,

Thank you for your question and your photos. It certainly seems a bit high. I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon but remember that you do have swelling. As the swelling decreases the tip should drop, and your results will look great. Sometimes lymphatic massage and Arnica Montana can help with swelling and bruising. But please discuss these issues and concerns with your surgeon again. Good luck

Sincerely,

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon

#nasaltip #toohigh

Result

Thank you for the question and photos and I would express your concerns to your surgeon but you are not looking at the final result and the tip will drop with time

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD