Smile after 16 days post septorhinoplasty; has anyone had the same experience and did the smile come back to normal? (Photos)

I hardly had any bruising and am healing really well.The splint was taken off a week after. My nose has changed a lot. My smile is a mess and i m very unhappy and depressed. it is super weird, looks very fake and forced. My upper lip used to cover all of my teeth and now it kind of doesn't . Its like I have something blocking my smile at the bottom of my nose. I spoke to the surgeon and he told my face now has changed.Has anyone had the same experience and did the smile come back to normal???

Concerns with Smile after Rhinoplasty

Dear Dun01, This should be a temporary issue of concern and as the swelling dissipates your smile should return to it's pre-surgical appearance. At sixteen days post surgery you are still in the early stages of recovery so be patient and speak with your surgeon, this should resolve on it's own. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Yes, your experience is quite normal. You will regain your smile as you continue to heal.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smile changes after rhinoplasty

Dear Dun01,
It is great that you are healing well from your rhinoplasty, and hopefully this will shed a little light on the changes you are seeing in your smile. In your first picture your nose is dipping down covering a fair amount of the skin between the base of your nose and your lip. In your second photo the tip of your nose is more elevated and you are seeing this area, when before it was covered. Your nose will be firm and stiff for many months, and you should see more mobility once this softens up. Our bodies also are protective of tender and healing tissue, and a wide full smile very likely pulls on what is trying to heal, making your muscles work with less force right now. 
I would be thankful that you are off to such a great start with your nose, and just be patient with your smile. I will bet everything will get back to normal once you have had more time to heal.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Smile after rhinoplasty

Hi Dun01,

Depending on what work was done, the upper lip and smile can be affected in some cases following rhinoplasty. This is almost certainly temporary and should return as the swelling from the procedure resolves. Please keep your chin up and have confidence it will get better!!! : )
Stay in touch with your surgeon and please keep us updated on your progress!
Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon