Are There Surgeons Who Specialize In Macrotia Surgery?

I have a severe case of macrotia. My ears lack entirely that lovely curl of cartilage that give normal ears their shape. Mine don't have even a hint of it. All my life I have lived in fear of exposing my very large ears (getting my hair cut is excruciatingly embarrassing). The only website I found that discusses macrotia surgery belonged to a surgeon who recently retired. Is macrotia surgery a specialty? Where can I find out more about the surgery, what to ask a surgeon, cost, etc.?

Doctor Answers 5

Surgical Treatment is very effective

I suspect from your description that you have unfolding of the cartilage of the ear and prominent ears.

This is corrected best by refolding the cartilage in the proper place. I prefer the use of permanent sutures to hold the new shape. If the height of the concha or bowl of the ear is too high then I reduce it by removing some of the excess cartilage. The surgery can be done under local anesthesia, and is very effective. You will be relieved of the stress you have suffered all these years.

Today all this can be avoided for newborn babies when the condition is recognized soon after birth. There is a device called the Earwell that is used to permanently reshape the ear in infants, without surgery. I offer this device in my practice as well.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Microtia specialists

The procedure was pioneered by Burt Brent at Stanford and that team had an enormous number of patients and excellent results. If your finances and insurance permit, that would be my recommendation to you.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews


Microtia surgery requires an artist and a sculpturer to sculpt the new cartilage into an ear shape, Cover it with a flap, and may be skin graft it.

Some times a tissue expander is required.

Seek a plastic surgeon with lots of experience. Look for lots of pictures. Keep looking. Start with major Universities

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews


The corrective surgery your are referring to is called an otoplasty.  Facial plastic surgeons, general plastic surgeons and Otolaryngologists (ENT surgeons) are all trained to do this procedure.

Jenifer L. Henderson, MD
Silverdale Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

An ENT - otolaryngologist is best

An ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor is your best bet.  If you are in the Los Angeles area feel free to call my office for a consultation.

Babak Larian, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.