How to treat downward turning ("Katie Holmes") on multi-ethnic Caucasian and Asian hooded eyes? (photos)

I am 30 y/o, inherited a tapered lid crease and hooded eye from Asian side. My eye shape turns downward at the putter corner from my Causian side of family (many in my family tree have it). One eye & brow is slightly lower. I wear heavy eye makeup to improve shape. I'd like to look less droopy and more almond/cat shaped without completely changing my appearance. Is this complicated to treat? I am including photos w/ no makeup, makeup, and and Caucasian fathers eyes near my age as reference.

How to treat downward turning eyes ?

Best to see an oculoplastic specialist for in person evaluation. Subtle alterations of eye shape may be okay but not drastic changes. See following link.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hapa eyes

are truly beautiful in my humble opinion but if you must change things, you should see experienced lid surgeons and make sure they can truly provide you with what you desire.  There is no room for errors here as your outcome could be much 'worse' that where you start from.  Unless your consultation or exam truly showed something that could easily be improved, I would suggest waiting until the effects of aging start to impact your lids.

Curtis Wong, MD

Changing Eye shape in the young female?

changing the shape of your eyes involves too much risk for a very subtle change. I would suggest no surgery whatsoever for what bothers you since the risk of any surgery outweighs the potential gain. 

Treating down-going eyes

We usually perform a cheek lift to change the appearance of down-going corners of the eyes.Down-going eyes can be from birth or due to prior lower eyelid surgery performed with a conventional technique.This technique is technically complex so it is best to seek a surgeon with interest in the mid face.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Epicanthal folds

Thank you for your question and pictures! What you have is called an epicanthal fold, and as you noted, it is common in people of asian descent.  As far as the downward turning aspect laterally, well as you also noted, that came from the other side of your family.  There are a couple of minor things that can be done to improve both of these concerns of yours, with minor in-office procedures.  I suggest you find and look for someone who specializes in asian eyelids as that will guarantee your best result.  What you are looking for is certainly achievable with minor tweaking.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon