Lower eyelids are droopy after Blepharoplasty. (photo)

Dear Doctors, I am 2 weeks post-op lower and upper eyelid. The lower eyelids are droopy and the right lower eyelid is still very swollen . do you think it shall pass with time or will I need to fix it with more surgery? if more surgery, which one and how long should I wait before having it (my Doctor says canthopexy in one year but it is frustrating to wait so long) please kindly explain the surgery and healing process and how long it usually takes. Thank you!

Patience

Lower eyelid retraction following lower blepharoplasty can occur for several reasons. Some of the causes resolve with time, including swelling and weakness of the orbicularis muscle. When I see someone in consultation 2 weeks out I recommend massaging the lower lid upwards 2-3 times a day. I usually recommend waiting for any additional surgery at least 6 months but you will likely know if surgical correction is necessary by 3 months.

West Palm Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Give it a few more weeks.

It can be frustrating waiting for the results of cosmetic surgery to really show, but 2 weeks after the procedure is too early to gauge your ultimate outcome. You may be disappointed now, but the appearance of your eyelids likely will change in the next week or 2 as the body continues to resolve the swelling you describe. If you remain dissatisfied after that point, you should wait at least 6 months before scheduling another procedure. 

Derek Ford, MD

Lower eyelid ectropion after blepharoplasty

You have lower eyelid ectropion after lower blepharoplasty. Best to wait about 3 months for healing to complete and hopefully the lower eyelid will go back into normal position. If not, see an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. In the meantime, do squinting exercises and use lubricating eye drops. See link below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Drooping lower lids after blepharoplasty

Sometimes earlier repair is justified, but if you can wait at least three months that will allow the swelling to subside. Early intervention runs a risk of doing too much surgery. Gentle upward massage of the lateral lower lids might prevent further downward retraction. Your upper lids may be pushed down by heavy brow tissue, so you might consider a brow lift at some point. Allow plenty of time for healing - and if seek other opinions before additional surgery. Best wishes with your healing.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

The lower eyelids are pulled down and the upper eyelids are droopy.

However, it is very early after surgery.  It will be several months to know your final out come.  Do not accept a lateral canthal surgery from your surgeon.  This will not fix the lower eyelid contour but it will use up needed eyelid resources for definitive repair.  The upper eyelid are ptotic and it is possible the surgery made this issue worse.  You need to let the dust settle.  Gentle massage go the lower eyelid can be helpful but this needs to be done under the supervision of a surgeon to avoid damaging the eyelid.