Sudden sore red bump on 3 month old scar? (Photos)

3 months ago I had a cyst removed on my face. About a month in a stitch spit out, but past that healing has been going well. This morning I woke up to see a red bump at the end of my scar which is tender to the touch and had a tiny bit of fluid come out after a soft squeeze. There does not seem to be a visible stitch coming out, but I am wondering if this is normal irritation or something more serious like the start of an infection? I am about to go out of town and cannot see my dr for a week.

Scar on Face -- Lasers, Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Dermaflage/ScarMD, skin lightening

If you have a sore on a scar please see your physician.  This could be a suture that needs to be removed, or a recurrence of something that was there.  Scars can be treated with lasers if its just cosmetic.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scar following cyst removal

There are two possibilities here. The first is that this is another spitting stitch. Depending on the deep sutures (the ones under the skin) your doctor used they can last up to 6 months or rarely longer. This can resolve without intervention. The second possibility is that that cyst was not completely removed and it is beginning to recur. This would require another surgery if this were the case. I think the first scenario is more likely. Good luck

Kathryn Kent, MD
Saint Helena Dermatologist