How to treat scar hyperpigmentation,how to smooth texture?Will depression by kenalog fill in time?Will microneedling help(photo)

2 mos ago I went to a medspa for DPNs removal, they used a laser which burned my cheek. They went beyond the superficial part of my skin. I developed a scar, looks like hypertrophic & really dark. 3 wks ago I went to a dermatologist, she did a kenalog inj to my scar. It developed slight skin atrophy,the scar now looks a little sunken, still dark & the texture is quite shiny. I've been applying biocorneum since week 1. I've been advised to start triluma and eventually do microneedling. I'm Asian

How to treat scar hyperpigmentation,how to smooth texture?Will depression by kenalog fill in time?Will microneedling help

Hello Sarah1430,Sorry to hear about your experience.  As far as what to do now, I would be on the conservative side.  A lot of what you are seeing is the pink color as the body heals the injury you had.  It can take up to a year for the pinkness to go away, and using somthing like BioCorneum to help prevent a tan there can be of benefit.  The area certainly is derpessed.  I don't know what it looked like when you received the injection, but none of hte pictures you included looked like a hypertrophic scar.  A hypertrophic scar is elevated above the surrounding tissue but yours looks depressed.  The concept of doing microneedling is to helps stimulate collagen and elevate up the depressed area.  The results are not very dramatic but it may improve it slightly.  I would also recommend the use of temporary fillers to help elevate up the scar to the level of the surrounding skin.  That can be quite helpful.  In order to determine the best plan for you, I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon.  I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar

Hi Sarah. Sorry to hear about your experience. You currently have a depressed scar. This can be treated with fillers to inflate the depressed region, in addition to laser resurfacing and microneedling. I would avoid any more kenalog injections into that area. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar on Face -- Lasers, Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Dermaflage/ScarMD, skin lightening

this can be treated with lasers, subcision and fillers. I suggest seeing an expert in lasers and scars.  Best, Dr. Emer.