Is it necessary to reach my goal weight before a nose job?

I'm about 20 lbs from a normal bmi, 40 lbs from my goal weight (Female, 5'9, early 20s, in good health). I'm wondering if, for aesthetic reasons, I shouldn't have a nose job until I've reached my goal weight because my facial appearance will continue to change as I lose weight. Will excess face weight affect decisions about nose size/shape, etc? Will my nose suit my face better if I wait, or does it not really matter? (I'd say I store an average amount of weight in my face for someone my size.)

The changes your face would have following weight lose will not effect the aesthetic planning for rhinoplasty. 

Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Rhinoplasty Surgeries over the past 30 years.  A weight loss of 20 pounds would not affect the aesthetic planning on how a Rhinoplasty would improve the appearance of your nose or the aesthetic result if the weight was lost following the Rhinoplasty.Hope this helps.

Weight loss in rhinoplasty

A rhinoplasty should improve the balance and harmony of the facial features. This shape and size the nose are not changed secondary to changes your weight.  I see no aesthetic advantages or disadvantages of reaching a goal weight for rhinoplasty.
Hope this helps

Although, it always pays to be as close to your goal weight as possible, being 20 lbs from your normal BMI should have no effect on the results of your rhinoplasty.  Check with your surgeon for their recommendations, as well.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and weight loss

Weight loss will have no effect int the rhinoplasty, so it wouldn't matter if you lost the weight before surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Anesthesia risks are less and recovery easier if you are at a healthy and maintainable (perhaps not ideal) weight.  For that reason I would not rush into your rhinoplasty although rhinoplasty decisions have little to do with facial and cheek "fullness" IMO.
Jon A. Perlman, M.D. FACS Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) Beverly Hils, Ca.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Weight

Thank you for the question and for body sculpting procedures I would say yes but for a rhinoplasty if you are in good health and close to goal weight, it should not make a difference
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Ideal body weight for undergoing cosmetic surgery

Yes, it is not excellent idea to be  at your ideal body weight before opting to undergo cosmetic surgery.  In addition to better facial proportions, more importantly is you body's reaction to the anesthesia.  In our practice, anesthesiologists will not perform anesthesia on patients with a BMI over 34.  This is for patient safety reasons.

Losing weight before a rhinoplasty

I think it's great that you have chosen to be healthy! In general, the nose itself remains relatively unchanged with weight fluctuations so there is no inherent downside to having the operation earlier.
However, as part of the recovery you will be unable to maintain your aggressive exercise regimen for about 2 months (1st month pretty strict) and risk stalling your weight loss efforts.  I would recommend you keep grinding and then reward yourself when you reach your goal. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist