Is nose job bad for your heart?

Hey Real Self! So I planning on getting a nose job but theirs just one thing that stopping me. Durning my childhood I have a heart condition called pat stv , it used to make my heart beat fast. Long ago I did the procedure and nothing ever happened after except a little palpitations now and then. My mom thinks that getting a nose job is bad for my heart. I feel perfectly normal. What do you think?

IS NOSE JOB BAD FOR YOUR HEART

Dear melair, In my practice any patient who has any past history of heart issues will be have a cardiology appointment and after testing is performed the cardiologist will either clear the patient for surgery or not. Rhinoplasty surgery in itself has no additional risk to a patient with a heart condition. All of my surgical procedures are performed in my  private fully accredited outpatient surgical facility with an anesthesiologist to ensure patient safety. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty and heart condition

Rhinoplasty surgery itself does not impose any additional risk to a patient with a heart condition. However, rhinoplasty is often performed under general anesthesia. Going to sleep for the surgery can potentially strain the heart. It's important for patients with any medical condition to see their medical doctors before surgery. This may involved getting a specialist involved. Cardiologist for your heart, etc. Blood tests, heart monitoring, and xrays may be performed. All of this information is reviewed by the anesthesiologist who will assess your risk profile and create an anesthesia plan to monitor and keep that risk as low as possible. If your condition is serious or unstable, they may also determine that you may not be safe to go to sleep for surgery.  I try to work with the most strict anesthesiologists. Even though they may cancel the surgeries I enjoy performing, It is worth keeping my patients as safe as possible. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Nose Job Bad for Your Heart?

Any history of heart problems should always be evaluated before any operation. I would have you consult with a cardiologist before your rhinoplasty with general anesthesia. If your not having any cardiac problems it is likely that you'll be cleared for surgery.

Rhinoplasty and a heart condition

It is important to get clearance from your cardiologist before undergoing elective cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure.  Having a rhinoplasty procedure is not bad for the heart, as long as the issues you may be having are treated appropriately

Is rhinoplasty (nose job) bad for your heart?

A rhinoplasty, by itself, is not necessarily bad for the heart, but the anesthesia used during the procedure can affect the heart.  I would recommend having a consultation with a heart specialist (cardiologist), prior to having any surgery, so that your past heart condition can be evaluated.  The cardiologist should be able to determine if it would be safe for you to proceed with surgery or not.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's the Local Anesthetic

That's a very good question!Most nasal surgeries are performed under a general anesthetic. For that reason, anyone with any history of heart problems should have clearance by their medical doctor. In your particular case it sounds as though you had a heart arrhythmia that is of the type that can be brought on with the use of local anesthetics. When you are asleep, these are injected into the nose to limit bleeding during surgery. If such an arrhythmia should occur, it can generally be easily controlled with medication. Your medical doctor will be able to advise concerning this.

George Sanders, MD