Is post-rhinoplasty discomfort/pain anything like the pain post-wisdom teeth removal?

I recently had a rhinoplasty consultation, but first had to get my wisdom teeth out. I had all four out and the two in my bottom jaw were impacted. I had oral sedation, was wide awake during the surgery, and afterward was in the most unbearable pain I've ever experienced. I was given Vicoden but it made me too dizzy and nauseous to use. Now, despite knowing my nose is immobile (unlike my jaw), I'm TERRIFIED of rhinoplasty, of being awake under IV sedation and again being in horrible pain.

Rhinoplasty pain/discomfort

Thank you for your question. I would not go as far to say that a Rhinoplasty is more painful than getting your wisdom teeth pulled. However, you will experience more discomfort than pain, which is normal. Be sure that your procedure is done by a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck!Dhaval M. PatelDouble board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman Estates Barrington OakbrookChicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

I perform my rhinoplasties under general anesthesia so that you are comfortable and not in pain and not aware.

I perform these surgeries with closed technique to preserve the structure of the nose and minimize visible scarring.

Rhinoplasty pain

I find that my patients state their rhinoplasty is more uncomfortable than painful.  I suspect it is not as bad as wisdom teeth, if that helps.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty under general anesthesia

In our practice, we perform all rhinoplasty procedures under general anesthesia By a board certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort.  We do not perform rhinoplasty under local anesthesia with sedation. When performing a rhinoplasty with IV sedation, patients will have conscious awareness of the nasal bones being  narrowed. Osteotomies of the nasal bones will be very painful under conscious sedation. As long as there is no packing placed inside the nose, the rhinoplasty procedure is not very painful. Packing the nose  is no longer routine, but is only used when there   are cases of severe and nosebleed which is very rare.

Rhinoplasty with general anesthesia etc.

Rhinoplasty with general anesthesia etc.and you will not feel anything. For 35 years of doing this I use a nerve block at the end of surgery so 50% of patients take nothing for pain. I have had my nose broken in sports 5 times and 5 minutes after it just feels sore. This does not hurt like wisdom teeth removal!