How much does it hurt to have microneedling treatment?

I am 25 years old male. I want to have microneedling treatment to repair aging as much as possible. I've heard that it can hurt if the needle is big, but at the same time, I want to get the best results. What is the size of needle you will use? and how much does it hurt?

Microneedling and Pain

Our patients numb for the procedure so they do not find it painful. The depth of penetration is more important to the results rather than the size of the needle. Depending on the area treated and an individual’s skin thickness, the depth will be adjusted.  At our office the procedure can go as deep at 2mm. 

Not terribly painful.

There are different types of microneedling pens utilized to perform the treatment.  There are also dermal rollers that are utilized in microneedling.  The actual needles themselves are very small.  You will need to ask your Practitioner the actual size of the needles they are utilizing, how deep they go, how many passes they perform and what pen they are using.  Some pens have an adjustable speed as well.  In my office I offer either a topical comfort cream or a topical numbing cream depending on the patient's comfort level.  The treatment itself is fairly quick and not terribly painful.  My patients tell me it's uncomfortable but worth the results and outcome.  Remember, always do your research and go to a professional, well-trained Practitioner.  Good luck!     

Not much pain with microneedling

Most patients are very comfortable during the treatment. We apply numbing cream to the full face for about 30 minutes prior to the treatment and this makes the procedure easy to tolerate.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain with microneedling

Microneedling is painful unless topical anesthetics are used prior to treatment.  The needles used are sterile, single use only, and in the Eclipse Micropen, the size of 33 ga needles.  They penetrate the skin in a vertical manner, eliminating any angled tearing of the skin seen in the roller systems.   We ask patients to apply their first layer of anesthetic gel prior to arriving at the office.  We then apply another layer to the skin and find with this approach they are very comfortable with the procedure.  Minimal to no pain after treatment is complete and the numbing wears off.  We have found that fastest recovery and best results occur for those patients who opt for PRP being placed on the skin and injected under scar areas.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Microneedling, Fillers, Lasers, Botox/Dysport -- CAN BE DONE ALL SAME DAY

We do combinations in our office for younger patients.  I love clear + brilliant and microneedling/PRP on my skin and do it every 6-8 weeks. I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Micro needling

Thank you for your question. With a topical numbing medication there is very minimal pain. Even without it, most people are able to tolerate it. As mentioned it depends on the type of needle used.

Best wishes
Theodore T Nyame M.D. 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Very minimal discomfort with microneedling

Microneedling is done using a medical device that has 12 tiny sterile disposible needles which the provider controls the depth up to 2mm depending on the area.

The treatment is not painful. We apply a numbing cream that sits on the skin for 20-30 minutes prior to treatment. Our patients have come in nervous, not knowing what to expect and once we start the procedure they are so surprised how painless it is. There are some areas that are more sensitive but very tolerable. We use PRP with our microneedling which leads to quicker healing and the treatment is more comfortible.

Honestly, we have not treated a patient that did not love their results!