When will my nipple area look normal? I'm 5 days post gynecomastia surgery

I have had my Gynecomastia Surgery about 5 days back and i have have my drains and bandages removed today. My Nipple area looks all squashed and disgusting to look at with sutures still on. Will this subside eventually? My Doctor says it will take about 4-5 Weeks for the nipple to start looking normal. Can you advise?

What to Expect after Gynecomastia Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Although your concerns are understandable, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed. In other words, no one looks good five days out of this type of surgery. Continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice,  and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes.

Nipples after gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. It is normal for the skin to be wrinkled and the incision to look red at this stage. As the swelling goes away, the skin will contract, become smoother, and the scar will fade. All of this takes time and you won't see your final results for a few months. Please be patient and stay in close contact with you surgeon. Follow all instructions and you should have a nice outcome. Best of luck.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon