What is the difference between Restylane Lyft and Juvederm Voluma?

They seem to be the exact same thing, just different companies. Is there a significant price difference?  Or any relevant difference?

Restylane Lyft and Voluma differences

Both products are HA fillers. The main difference is the G prime of Restylane Lyft is 554 and Voluma is 274. This is a measure of its lifting ability in tissue samples. The Voluma folks argue that this is not the only measure that should be relied upon to determine what is best for the cheeks. They argue that Voluma integrates better with the tissue and gives a better result. Longevity is also touted to be longer - 2 years - with Voluma BUT that is when 6 syringes were used and there were touch ups. Lyft is FDA approved to say it lasts 12 months. I'm currently doing a cheek challenge with each, injecting one side with Lyft and the other with Voluma. It has only been one month, and at this point, things appear to be equal.  I'll keep posting updates on YouTube and my Facebook. Voluma is also going to run more expensively because it is more cost to the doctor.

UPDATE: CHEEK CHALLENGE RESULTS - Voluma and Lyft both lasted 12 months. No significant differences in duration. Link has more details.

Lyft vs Voluma

Restylane Lyft and Juvederm Voluma are both excellent fillers when used properly.  Lyft is manufactured by Galderma and was previously called Perlane, and Voluma is from Allergan.  Lyft can be used in the midface as well as in the lower face, whereas Voluma is primarily intended for the midface (cheeks).  Lyft has clinical studies demonstrating a duration of one year, whereas Voluma has been demonstrated to last up to two years.

Beyond these differences, they are both hyaluronic acid fillers that are excellent for providing volume in the midface and sculpting the cheeks.  Consult with an experienced provider who can help determine which product will best meet your needs.  In the right hands, both products can provide beautiful, natural results.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Lyft and Juvederm Voluma are very similar products.  Lyft is sold my Galderma and Voluma by Allergan.  It is kind of like Sony and Samsung when it comes to consumer electronics.  They are both great companies.  There is a difference in price because of what the companies charge.  As far as the products they are both hyaluronic acid based, both are larger particles than other HA fillers, and both have greater crosslinking than other HA fillers to make them last longer.  Voluma has a study showing it lasted up to two years.  Lyft ended its study at 1 year so it can only claim to last that long.    

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Lyft and Voluma - what is the difference

Both are great products and I use quite a bit of each.  Voluma is more expensive and they have data that suggests that it lasts up to two years when patients obtain full correction.  Restylane Lyft was recently approved by the FDA for the mid-face, but was previously known as Perlane. 
The techniques to inject them are largely similar and I would say that who is injecting it is much more important than which product you chose to use.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Goal is most important and relationship with your Surgeon

You are correct, they are manufactured and regulated by two separate companies.  Additionally, they are similar products called Hyaluronic Acid (HA).  They are both utilized for providing lifting and augmentation in  the cheek regions.  Voluma is generally more expensive and is a newer product.  Lyft is an older product that has been rebranded and approved for similar use.  Both products are great options when used correctly.  I personally inject Voluma and find the results to last between 1-2 years depending on the patient and result desired.

Karan Dhir, MD

Lyft vs. Voluma

Both Lyft and Voluma are hyaluronic acid fillers.  I get excellent results with either of these fillers for cheek augmentation.  Voluma may possibly last longer, but it is more expensive.  In my opinion, your choice of injector is more important than the specific filler.  Good injectors can get excellent results with either filler.  In general, I prefer to use a cannula for cheek augmentation, which truly makes this a non-invasive, no downtime procedure.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Lyft vs Juvederm Voluma

Thanks for your question.  These products are very different, and are made by different companies entirely.  While they are both hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers, their level of cross linking is different which leads to differences in how they feel when injected and how long their results last.  I feel that Juvederm Voluma does a better job overall revolumizing the cheeks and temples, though often it costs more than Restylane Lyft.  The latter product was known for years as Perlane and has simply been rebranded as Restylane Lyft after testing to get FDA approval for marketing it to inject into cheeks and the mid face.  I hope this helps!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Lyft vs Juvederm Voluma

Yes, these are fillers made by different, competing companies. Yes, they are both hyaluronic acid fillers. The difference is in the cross-linking meaning how tight and small the HA particle is. In my opinion, Voluma plumps better and longer than Restylane Lyft (which is Perlane repackaged) in the upper cheek and face region. There may be a price difference because the prices will depend on volume discounts to the physicians for how many syringes they order over a year. In most places, Voluma will cost more.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Differences...

Lyft and Voluma are about the same. They both last about 12 months and work great for cheek enhancement and midface lift.

I suggest you meet with an experienced injector and rely on their expertise.

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Injectable Fillers

Thank you for your question about the difference between Restylane Lyft and Juvederm Voluma.

Both are used to volumize the midface. They can be used to define the cheekbones, and provide lift to the midface which can in turn soften lines of the lower face such as marionette lines. Typical starting amounts of Restylane Lyft and Juvederm Voluma would be one syringe per side. Depending on the amount of volume loss, you may need more. Restylane Lyft typically lasts around 1 year, and Juvederm Voluma can last up to 2 years. Due to the longer lasting nature of Juvaderm Voluma there may be a slight price difference. 

To be certain you receive appropriate treatment, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS