Asymmetrical sunken/hollow eyes after blepharoplasty 6 years ago; fat transfer to fix it? Are there any risks? (Photo)

I was making my research as I'm thinking about fat transfer after weight loss and I found out that some asymmetries in the eye area can be fixed with fillers, and results are great! My eyes are deep seated and quite asymmetrical, I guess it's because of blepharoplasty I had 6 years ago. I thought that it might be good idea to fix it with fat transfer. Is it possible? I contacted a surgeon who told me that there are risks of losing sight because of the nerves above the eye, is it true? Thanks!

Fat Grafting for Blepharoplasty Correction

I regularly perform fat grafting to correct overly aggressive blepharoplasty surgery that has left people with hollows in the upper eyelid and the lower eyelid area.  This can be a complicated surgery. Be sure to find a plastic surgeon with extensive experience with fat grafting in the upper eyelid area. View many photos as a way to start yiur search for the right surgeon for you.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I suggest fillers or fat to correct hollowing, but an expert consultation is needed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Blepharoplasty correction with fat transfer

fat transfer in that area is high risk for uneven contours and lumpiness.
I agree volume restoration would go a long ways.

It will be much safer to stay with fillers.

Find a provider who gives you great results with hydraulic acid-based fillers the are correctable and very forgiving.  Then start working at with longer-lasting fillers like Radisse. 
If you attempt fat transfer it should only be done by someone who is very experienced and it should be done in a conservative manner.
Complications are always possible.

Someone with good technical skills should be able to do this and keep it safe.

Worst case scenario I would be blindness. 

The chance of that would be exceedingly unlikely if you're in the hands of someone who is talented.
Consult with multiple plastic surgeons who haven't experienced with facial aesthetics.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. Fat transfer is a routine procedure for how long this around the eyes. Make sure that you see a very experienced board-certified plastic surgeon regarding this or any other cosmetic plastic surgery procedure. The final outcome is most dependent upon doing your research and  seeking a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. That is my best advice after 30 years performing cosmetic plastic surgery. Best of luck. 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Fat grafting is not one size fits all

The risk that your surgeon told you about is the possibility of introducing fat intra-arterially that would travel to your retinal artery, clog it off and cause blindness. There is this possibility, but it is EXTREMELY rare and these days surgeons who do a lot of this will use blunt micro-cannulas that are less likely to pierce vessels and even if they do, the fat embolus introduced is microscopic. Also, I would ask if your surgeon has a protocol for what to do in the event of an emergency. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Fat as filler

Thank you for the question there are risks associated with any surgical procedure but what you described is extremely rare and should not deter you from filing the area
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Filler or fat injection for hollow sunken eyes

Fat injection is as safe as filler injection to treat hollow areas around eyes, however the result of fat is not as predictable as filler as some or most of the injected fat may not survive. See following link and video.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon