What can help reduce swelling, after gynecomastia lyposuction surgery?

Its been 10 days since my surgery. About a week ago, was the first day I took off my foam vest. When I took it off, I noticed how well and flat my chest looked. Now since I took off thr foam, my chest is a little numb, and a lot swollen. It almost looks like old chest before my gynecomastic surgery. Is it just the swelling or am I getting man boobs again? Is there any way to reduce the swelling? I also have to mention that I have taken off my vest multiple times and have left it off for a few hours.

Your Healing Process After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Compression garment after Gynecomastia Reduction

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction male breast reduction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction) by liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
  1. it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

I have my gynecomastia patients wear a compression vest 24/7 for 6 weeks, removing it only when taking a shower. You might check with your surgeon on this, but I have found it makes a difference with my patients. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Swelling and Gynecomastia

This is probably normal swelling and will go away with time. It is best to wear compression as often as possible to help the swelling subside at a faster rate. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

If you liked the appearance of your chest after taking the compression the first time, you are likely to have a good result. Reapply the compression. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery is very common.  Compression is your best friend in the short term.  I recommend compression to my male patients for one month following the procedure.  Best of luck during your continued recovery.

R. Stewart Collins, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

Thank you for the question but I think you are aware of the answer - you need to resume the compression as it was obviously removed too soon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Swelling after Gynecomastia surgery

It is very common to have generalized swelling in the tissues after this procedure. Consistently wearing the compression vest is very important in the recovery process. I would not expect you to have swelling that looks like you did before surgery. You should contact your surgeons office in case you are developing seroma fluid under the skin. All of my patients have drains to eliminate this fluid. You did not mention if you have drains so an evaluation for fluid buildup may be a good idea.

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Reduce swelling after gynecomastia surgery

Swelling takes time to resolve for some patients.  Give yourself some time to recover and most likely you'll be pleased with the final results of gynecomastia surgery, which provides a notably high patient satisfaction rate, according to studies. 

Nevertheless, it remains helpful to control swelling through regular and correct use of compression garments, good hydration, light exercise such as walking to improve blood circulation, low-fat and low-sugar diet, and proper sleeping position (head elevated).

Hope that helps. 

Reducing Swelling After Gynecomastia

Time will reduce the swelling.  Consist use of the compression garment will help reduce the swelling.  It is very unlikely that you have return of gynecomastia. Most of your swelling will be gone by 6-12 weeks.