I Have a Long Philtrum. Would a Lip Lift Help?

Hi, I've always had very thin lips and a pronounced space between my nose and lips. I was wondering if a bullhorn lip lift would help or if it would just make me look unnatural. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Would a Lip Lift Help the appearance of a Long Philtrum?

Thank you for your question. The Lip Lift procedure is performed to accentuate the size and/or shape of the upper lip by removing skin from the region underneath the nose. As the distance is decreased between the nose and the lip, the red lip is 'lifted'. In appropriate individuals, shortening this distance may impart or restore a more favorable balance to lips and face. This procedure could help to decrease the pronounced space that you reference between your nose and lips.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Shortening the philtrum

Hi,

Thank you for your question and helpful photograph.

It appears you will benefit greatly from a lip lift. A lip lift will shorten the distance between the top lip and the base of your nose and by removing some skin from this area, the top lip tends to roll out and give an appearance of being fuller. Typically, a long philtrum tends to make you appear older. Shortening it gives a much younger appearance to the entire face without risking more intrusive surgery such as a face lift. Most surgeon's forget this important aspect of the aging face or in your case genetic predisposition. I hope this information helps.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Shortening the philtrum

Hi,

Best wishes and kind regards,

Long Philtrum- Lip Lift

Certainly you can try some fillers / injectables, howerver am not sure they will be sufficient for correcting what appears to be a long upper lip that would benefit from the upper lip lift.  I love this procedure, and get quite consistent results.

Long Philtrum- Lip Lift

Lip Lift for Correction of Long Upper Lip

After reviewing your photos, I feel you are a very good candidate for a lip lift procedure.  The lip lift will address two concerns from your picture.  One, it will decrease the length of your upper lip, something you inquired about.  Secondly, your upper lip appears to be small.  A lip lift will provide for more "roll" to the red portion of the upper lip which would allow the lip to appear fuller.  The subnasal incision is an option, which when place in the proper anatomic creases can heal very nicely.  Also, an incision can be made at the red/white border of the lip, which will also provide for better "roll" to the red upper lip.  This incision also heals quite nicely when placed exactly at the red/white junction, although the incision can be camouflaged with lipstick during the healing process.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift

Lip lift will leave a scar under the nose. The quality of that scar can not be quaranteed . If you are willing to accept a scar then you will look better.

Try a filler to the upper lip, may give enough lift that you will like it.

See a very experienced BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMRICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY)

and discuss your options the pros and cons then make your decision

Lip lift

Upper luip lift

In my opinion, given your smaller upper (red) lip and your long philtrum, I believe you would have a pleasing outcome to an upper lip lift using the bull's horn technique.

Upper luip lift

I think I need a lip lift. Would that make me look unnatural?

Thank you for your question. The fact that you are asking for advice about your upper lip indicates that you know how shortening the distance between your nose and your lip can improve the appearance of your face. In fact there is no  procedure that can contribute to the facial beauty as much is a lip lift. You need to make a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience in this procedure. if this operation is done properly the results could be absolutely beautiful and natural.The procedure will reduce the distance between the bottom of your nose and the red part of your lip. It would also enhance your upper lip and make you more attractive. You can look at many before and after pictures in my Realself profile or on my website.

Lip lift to shorten distance of upper lip skin

Thank you for your question and sharing your photo. Lip lifts can be an extremely rewarding procedure that can increase the fullness of the upper lip, give you a little more lip show. The amount of lift does depend on the starting length of the upper lip skin and the desired look afterwards. The incision is hidden at the border of the upper lip skin and base of the nose and spans the width of the nose. I perform these procedures under local anesthesia, but it can also be done with sedation or general anesthesia. Good luck.

Lip Lift, a good operation

A quintessential sign of facial youth and beauty is an appropriate sized upper lip and prominence of cupids bow (the middle of the upper lip). A lip lift will shorten a long lip like yours, but more importantly will create a prominent cupids bow. This is a great operation and requires about a month or two of patience for the scars to fade well. You are a good candidate for this.

Lip Lift, a good operation

The upper lip lift reduces the space between the bottom or your nose and the top of your lips

The upper lip lift is a great procedure for reducing the space between the bottom of your nose and the top of your lips. Be sure to discuss which type of incision will be used with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Some patients who have a long upper lip and also a very thin top lip elect to have fat injections as a secondary procedure that produces a very natural and beautiful result.