Bump on nose after cast removal. (photo)

I am 8 days post op and just got my cast and stitches removed. I know people say the nose will be swollen but I was not expecting to have a bump on my nose after. The bump is the same exact size as the bump I went into surgery with. He said he shaved it down but obviously it doesn't look like it. Do you think this is going to stay? I'm really unhappy however id rather too little have been done than too much!

Nasal hump removal

Sometimes the immediate swelling after nasal surgery can give the appearance of a hump.  You should give it at least 3 months before you decide on a revision surgery.

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

8 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments at this point of your post op.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bump after cast removal

It is unlikely that an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon would leave behind a bump like that. There is no question you have a lot of swelling there which is apparent even in your picture. You will have to be patient and see how that area settles. Keep contact with your plastic surgeon and allow the healing process to continue. Best of luck for food healing!

Alex N. Mesbahi, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery First

At 8 days, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Bump on nose after cast removal

Thank you for your question.  Remember, you should always address any post-operative concerns with your primary surgeon.  It is very important to remember it takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. I hope you find this helpful. Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS, member of The Rhinoplasty Society

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

You are fresh post-op, this may also be swelling. Swelling will last for a year or longer in some individuals. Good luck.

Bump on nose after cast remova

Sit tight for now. The nose is very swollen and ususally feels very spongy in the first month after surgery. Most of the swelling on the dorsum will be gone by 6 weeks but it takes as much as 18 months for all the swelling to resolve. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump reduction

8 days post-OP is way too early to judge any rhinoplasty results. I suggest you adhere to the post-OP recommendations of your surgeon, follow-up regularly, and discuss your concerns with your surgeon. If indeed a dorsal hump reduction was performed, which per your surgeon it was, then one would expect edema/swelling in that area. In fact, some bruising is visible on your photo in the area of the dorsal hump reduction, which strongly suggests that a hump reduction was performed. Whether or not the amount of hump reduction is to your satisfaction, you will need to wait a few months for all swelling to resolve. Worst case, you may need a small revision intervention to reduce some more hump, which is relatively easy. It would be way worse had too much hump been resected as filling it back in is extremely difficult to do. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon