Can my unfolded ear be corrected? (photos)

I was born with no fold in my ears which gives an elf like appreance from the front view and makes them appear much larger. Can this be easily corrected? Is it invasive and what is the average cost?

Doctor Answers 6

Postauricular Incision

Thanks for posting your photos.This is a prominent ear deformity variant. It can be corrected with a very easy operation.This surgery can be performed with postauricular incision and suture technique.Pls consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.Good luck

Turkey Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Can my unfolded ear be corrected?

The least invasive method is the correction with the Merck stitch method, by which the ear is not cut open. A bilateral correction under local anaesthesia costs 2920 euros with this method. You can check and co-determine the new position of your ears in a mirror.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon


Your ear shows only a partial antihelical fold which is why the top part points outward a bit. This is easily corrected with simple sutures placed through an incision behind your ear. Pricing always varies but find a surgeon you trust and are comfortable with. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Can my unfolded ear be corrected?

Hi, I have performed many ear shaping procedures (Otoplasty) for over 30 years.  From the photo, your ears are a bit prominent due to an enlarged "conchal cartilage bowl" as well as a relative weal anti-helical fold within the ear(s).  Otoplasty can correct both in about 30 minutes, using an incision in the crease behind the ear and a local anesthetic alone.  I have found the procedure to be quick and highly effective at shaping and contouring the ears.
Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews


Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a an otoplasty.  This can be designed in a manner with no visible scars.  Cost varies based on geographic region and surgeon expertise.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

Otoplasty surgery may be considered for forming an antihelical fold and positioning your ears closer to your head.

Your left ear has a partial antihelical fold, and possibly a deep conchal bowl. The feasibility of otoplasty surgery in your situation could only be made at a consultation with a reputable surgeon.
Hope this helps you.
Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 421 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.