How Long/How Important Facelift Compression Garment?

I had a facelift that involved liposuction of chin/jowls approx 2 1/2 weeks ago. The compression garment began to push "wrinkles" in my neck so my PS advised me to only wear it for a few hours in the evening, and/or to try and cut it so that the neck laid flat without any marks. Once I cut the neck, it became basically a chin sling only and it's very uncomfortable. Will my outcome be affected if I stop wearing it at this point? I don't notice any swelling difference when it's not been worn

Compression Garment after Facelift

Hi Tehyaj,

You have actually raised a very good question to our belief and practice. I understand how uncomfortable you feel under the garment. Currently, in my practice, post-op facelift patients are only required to wear compression garment for the 1st 2 days following surgery, though on some rare cases where neck is included, I advise for up to 1 week.
I found no difference in terms of complication, healing, and long term results with patients wearing the garment for a longer period of time.

Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Compression Garments After Facelift or Necklift

The value of these is somewhat debatable.  There is no doubt that during the first 24 hours after surgery a compression dressing has a very important role in preventing seromas (fluid collections) and preventing bruising.  After the first 24 hours, I continue to have my patients where a spandex/velcro compression garment for 4 more days.  I don't believe there is any benefit in wearing them longer than that.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Compression garments

The compression of the face and neck after a facelift is not necessary.   These garments are uncomfortable and not needed.  Facial swelling responds nicely to head elevation, elevation when sleeping, a low salt diet, possibly a diuretic, and rarely are any compression garments needed.  Rarely I find a person who seems to lag in edema reduction.  For these few folks i May suggest a garment about the face and neck for 3 hours in the evening.  I am not convinced they do any good but it is worth a try plus it seems to comfort the edematous person.   My Best,  Dr C

There are a number of factors that play a part in the recovery of a facelift, the garment being one. I recommend you talk with your plastic surgeon as they have the best knowledge of your procedure and recovery expectations. 

Use of compression dressing following a facelift

The importance of long-term use of compression dressing after a facelift is somewhat debatable. However, during the first 24 hours after surgery a compression dressing has a very important role in preventing hematoma and bruising. After the first 24 hours, I provide my patients a spandex with Velcro facial compression garment for 3 additional days to wear. This will reduce Seroma formation and swelling.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Should I wear a compression garment after a facelift?

As has been previously discussed, this is a controversial topic. I place a small drain in conjunction with a compression dressing following surgery. The drain typically stays in place overnight and I pull it the next day. I also remove the compression dressing the next day and thoroughly clean the incisions. I usually have my patients wear a light compression garment a few days after surgery however I usually do not have them wear it for more than a week. 

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift garment

Most surgeons do no use a garment.  You do not want to compromise tissue from being too tight and hurting you.  Discuss with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Facelift Surgery postoperative care and dressings

The need for and use of FaceliftDressings is an excellent question and has even recently been the topic of some controversy and discussion amongst experts panels.  Historically, compression dressing were used  to provide some level of "compression" ostensibly to reduce the incidence of blood vessel leakage causing bruising and/or collection under the skin known as a lhematoma.  Expanding or large hematomas require surgical drainage and should be infrequent in incidence.  With the advent of smaller and better designed "drains" many surgeons feel the little need for "compression dressings" which have the disadvantage of also compressing the small vessels that supply nourishment for the the elevated skin and when improperly applied with pressure around the neck can actually increase swelling

With these concepts in mind it is true that compression dressing are not necessary and probably are a disadvantage as it relates to optimal blood flow.  In most cases, I employ small drains to reduce bruising overnight.  These are gently and comfortably removed the next day AND I use a very light and comfortable wrap dressing to keep the face clean and very gently compressed vertically (not around the neck) which in my experience reduces swelling.  They are removed the day after surgery and custom "terricloth" headbands are provided for cleanliness and gentle support that we recommend using daily for the first week and at night during the next 7 days to complete recovery.  The short answer is no dressings are not necessary but hopefully this provides better guidance as all surgeons should have a logical and thoughtful approach to post operative dressings and care.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face compression garment

I used to not use these and now I do.  I don't think the are essential but they are helpful.  I don't think you should use it if you are uncomfortable doing so.  Not using it should not have a significant impact on the long term results.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Facelift Compression Garment After Lipo

Please get your plastic surgeon to advise on their recovery protocol and voice your concerns.  I do not used chin compression garment as I strap my patients chin up using a technique which is as effective as a compression garment.  This reduces any sign of seroma.  My patients will wear this until they return for their follow up appointment (7 days later).
All The Best 

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon