For the past year my nipples have been appearing slightly puffy/inflated and I'm not sure what it is, any ideas?

For the past year my nipples have been appearing slightly puffy/inflated. I am not overweight nor does this problem seen to occur all the time - I have noticed that they seem this way specifically when it is warm. However they very rarely normal (hard, not puffy). I am currently still going through puberty and from what I've read I've believe it might be Gyno, but since my case isn't continuous - I think it might be something else. But I am not to sure. Any help is very much appreciated, Thanks

What are puffy nipples?

Puffy nipples are a form of gynecomastia, however the good news is since you are still going through puberty it will most likely go away by itself. A small percentage of boys (5% or less)will have it beyond puberty and it may become permanent and only can be removed by surgery. Try to be patient, however if it is causing you a great deal of anxiety, see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia for reassurance. Good luck!

About Puffy Nipple Areola Complex

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition. 
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Puffy Nipple/Areola

These changes in your nipple/areola area are most likely related to puberty.  This should resolve after completion of puberty but if it does not then evaluation by a plastic surgeon may be warranted.