Will Blue Cross & Blue Shield cover the removal of gynecomastia? (Photo)

I've dealt with Gyno all through my teens and early adulthood. I thought I would learn to accept this but I can't. I can't run or lift weights because no matter what I do they won't go away. Will my insurance cover all or most of the cost of the surgery? Is there a way of getting the surgery so that I'm not too scarred and can still remove my shirt and people won't notice? I'm desperate at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

In Many Cases, Insurance Should Pay for Gyecomastia Treatment

Male breast reduction surgery helps bring a male's body back to “normal
form”. But most insurance companies will only cover surgeries which involve
restoration of “normal function”, otherwise they consider it a cosmetic problem. 

One could argue that there is a definite psychological toll from having gynecomastia, but insurance companies generally will not be swayed by that argument.

Blue Cross Blue Shield Coverage of Gynecomastia Surgery

Blue Cross Blue Shield is unlikely to cover the costs of male breast reduction. However, you should contact your insurance company to understand the specifics of your plan.

The cost off male breast reduction varies across the country and even in the same area. Prices in South Florida are less than more expensive cities such as Toronto, New York, or Los Angeles. We charge starting at $3000 + MD Anesthesia related expenses for male breast reduction.

For quality surgery at the most economical prices, consult with surgeons in your area who own a nationally accredited surgery center as they tend to have greater control over costs but still maintain the highest possible quality to maintain accreditation.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Insurance Coverage for Gynecomastia

Thank you for your pictures. I am sorry to hear about your concerns.  Unfortunately, if you do not have a specific discrete mass of your chest insurance is very unlikely to cover this.  Please seek evaluation from several board certified plastic surgeons.

Insurance covered gunecomastia

Very doubtful ant health insurance will cover in todays insurance atmosphere. See a few boarded PSs in person to see 
or call BC/BS AND ASK. 

gynecomastia Tampa FL

Insurance does not cover.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Will Blue Cross & Blue Shield cover the removal of gynecomastia?

I am sorry to hear about the concerns your chest wall appearance has caused you.  My best suggestion: seek in-person consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Working together, you will come up with the best plan to achieve your goals. As you learn about options, also carefully consider the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with each option discussed.

In my experience, most health insurance companies do not help with correction of gynecomastia. Best to check directly with your insurance company to see whether breast reduction surgery is a “covered” benefit with your specific policy. You may find the attached link, helpful to you as you learn more about treatment options. Best wishes.