Permanent stitch is poking out of incision 6 weeks post op. Periareola implant with mastoplexy/donut lift. Why? (Photos)

3 weeks ago I started to develop little holes around the nipple where the dissolvable stitches were splitting, this got worse and eventually had a hole where the incision had separated, I ended up having to get re-stitched by the surgeon to close the gap.i also had an infection treated With stitches were removed 6 daysago.ive had more splitting stitches since. Today I have a clear plastic thread sticking out of the really concerned I will be left badly scared.Kindly advise? :/(

Suture coming out after breast lift

most of the sutures that plastic surgeons use in a breast lift are dissolving. However in some people like yourself, the body does not want us to dissolve the sutures. Therefore it  this is not common but it does happen in a small number of patients. It is possible that you will need a scar revision with different type of sutures once you are all healed. I have seen this happen multiple times over the years I've been in practice. treats the suture like a foreign body, like a splinter. The  body pushes out the foreign material. This looks like a pimple or a boil. Once the skin is open then  infection can set in. This is the process you are currently experiencing. In the future if you have any surgery you should let your surgeon know that you had this kind of a reaction to the sutures  I have seen this multiple times over the years. It eventually settles down and the scar will look acceptable  but you may need a scar revision under local anesthesia 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Managing incision line separation following BA and lift

You've clearly had a difficult and stressful recovery . . . these things happen and the best thing to do is stick with your surgeon and work through it. Currently, it sounds like you're seeing more wound separation as well as an exposed suture. If that's the case, you should be in touch with your surgeon so that you can consider:- whether that exposed suture should be removed, and- whether the wound should again be re-sutured.It's difficult to predict the final scar quality, but a scar revision done 6-12 months from now is always an option.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Sutire spitting

Thanks for your inquiry, and sorry for your struggles.  Sutures do get infected and/or spit out unfortunately.  Please keep seeing your doctor, he/she seems very involved and that is really good.  How your scar will heal is hard to predict, but a scar revision is possible months down the road if it does not heal well.  Good Luck.  

Clear stitch sticking out of incision.

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through.  It is obvious you are not healing as planned. As to why that happened, it is not clear. Again, sorry.That clear thread that is coming out is a deeper stitch which is "spitting" out of the incision. It is probably a dissolvable stitch commonly used under the skin. Your surgeon can take care of that.I had a similar thing happen to me once with a patient. It turned out she had a reaction to a clear dissolvable stitch I used under her skin. I had to remove several stitches that spit out and revise my closure, but eventually she was healed and did not scar poorly. I do not know if the cause of your problem is the same as my patient's, but the treatment is. It's frustrating, but let your surgeon continue taking care of the open areas and spitting stitches.  The goal is to get you healed.  I understand your concern about bad scarring since you are not healing as expected. The scar probably will not be ideal, but it will look a lot better than you do now.  If you are unhappy with the scar, revision is always an option once you are fully healed.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns.I hope I was of some help and best wishes with your recovery.Dr. Bastidas

Jaime Bastidas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

It is very common for buried sutures to occasionally work their way to the surface prior to being dissolved.  While a nuisance, it is nothing to be concerned about.  Your incisions should heal well and look fine over the long term.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. The number one goal at this point is to achieve healed wounds. Cosmetics will be a secondary concern and can be addressed later as they can be revised. Skin quality is an essential ingredient in the mixture that can very well determine your results. Obviously, It isn't possible to tell what your skin quality is from pictures alone. If you have very stretched skin, that represents permanently   damaged skin. In this setting, a smaller implant would be a wiser choice as it would stretch the skin less. That would be your starting point and you will continue to have that problem postoperatively. It is important that you have very limited activity in the early postoperative stages, that is, in the first six weeks. Make sure that you follow all instructions given by your surgeon. I believe that it is important that one wears a bra 24/7 for breast support postoperatively. This will minimize the tension on the incisions leading to better scars in general. Of course, follow up with the surgeon and be direct in all of your concerns.

Permanent stitch is poking out of incision 6 weeks post op.

I am sorry to hear about your problem with healing.  From your photos and description, you may have sutures which are simply "spitting" or may also have an infection or allergic reaction.  Certain topical antibiotics such as Neosporin or Polysporin can result in an allergic rash.  Let your surgeon know about the problem and have them see you.  Let them know about any topical medicines and/or dressings you are using. They may want to remove the affected sutures, change dressing techniques/antibiotics, and possibly take bacterial cultures of the wounds.  This problem should eventually resolve, but check with your surgeon to see what you might do differently regarding local wound care to help this area heal.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon