Nose is fatter and wider after Rhinoplasty than I would like. Will it stay this way? (photos)

I am one week and 3 days post-op from rhinoplasty. I had my cast removed 3 days ago and my nose is a lot wider and fatter than what it used to be. I know it is swollen but the bridge seems wider. Also I like the tip from the profile but from the front looks bulbous and wide not lifted at all (when it is supposed to be). I am happy with my profile as compared to what it used to be, but the front view is very fat and wide and extremely unflattering. I don't want to be seen. Please help!

Normal swelling after rhinoplasty

At 10 days postop, it is completely normal to have swelling throughout the nose. This will continue to subside in the following weeks. During this time, make sure that you are following up with your rhinoplasty surgeon because they will be able to address all your concerns. Best of luck. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post op

At 10 days post op, is very early in your healing time, your nose still looks very swollen, which will go down little by litlle in the next weeks. But it looks like you will have a very good result. just give it time

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty

It is not uncommon in the early stages of rhinoplasty recovery to see some asymmetries.  Often these asymmetries resolve themselves during the healing period.  It is usually 6 months before the nose is completely healed.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase.  Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose too wide after nose job

It is very natural to be concerned after rhinoplasty. It was a big decision, and you of course hope it turns out  terrific! The most important thing for you at this point is to try and relax and give this time. Remember, it takes at least one year to see the long term result that the surgery will produce. In the first few weeks, it is not really possible to know with any certainty how wide it will ultimately be. So give this time, continue to see your surgeon, and most likely you will do very well!

Patrick J. Byrne, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Don't be alarmed at the appearance now.  Everyone has swelling for several weeks after surgery, especially right after cast is removed.  

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post-Operative Concerns

Thank you for your question.  At one week post-operative, you still have quite a bit of swelling from surgery.  Also, once the cast comes off, the soft tissues of the nose will begin to swell.  This is quite noticeable in the tip for most patients.  Continue to follow the post-operative care regimen recommended your surgeon.  Also be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as well. It can take 6 months to 1 year for all swelling in the nose to resolve.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 Week Post Op

It is way too early to judge the appearance of your nose.  You will notice changes over the next several weeks.  Follow up with your surgeon so that he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD