Is a post op Rhinoplasty hump normal? (photo)

Okay so it's 3 weeks post op and I'm really scared because I feel there is a hump on the top of my nose and I never had it I just did the surgery to make my nose thinner and more elevated. Is this just water retention? It doesn't feel like a bone but I don't know is this normal ?

Swelling contributing to hump

There is certainly some swelling throughout the nose at 3 weeks postop. This is likely the cause of the fullness on the bridge of your nose. I would have your surgeon examine this to determine if there is swelling present. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-Operative Bump

Thank you for your question!  Most likely the "bump" you are seeing is residual swelling after surgery.  This should go away with time.  Three weeks post-operative is still very early in the healing process, and you will still have quite a bit of swelling to resolve.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as well.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin 

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Rhinoplasty Concerns

You most likely have soft tissue and skin swelling consistent with an early rhinoplasty. With time you should see the soft tissue swelling improve. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon for further reassurance. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump on nose

Don't worry.  At three weeks it is not unusual to have swelling on the bridge of your nose that can look like a hump.  I am sure your surgeon told you that swelling can last almost a year with a rhinoplasty, so try to not evaluate your nose every day so early.  It will change day to day and with exercise, stress, heat, and time of day.  Discuss with your surgoen your concerns but try to remember the conversation you had with him/her before surgery.  Good luck.

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon