Is my left nipple dying? (photos)

I have had Gynecomastia Surgery via liposuction and direct excision of glands 2 weeks ago. My right nipple is supple, normal brown colour and protudes out. My left nipple seems darker, is completely flat and harder. I am concerned that this left nipple could be dying?

Loss of Nipple Sensation

It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding.

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple issue

You need to let your surgeon look at you . Sometimes severe bruising can cause quite a bit of discoloration. If there is some ischemia (decreased blood flow) then your surgeon can make recommendations with regard to care with topical medications and antibiotic ointments. It may not mean that you would lose the nipple. 

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Is my left nipple dying?

It sounds as if there may be a problem, but the pictures are not definitive. So you will need to be examined.  You should do this now.  There are prescription medications that may help, but they need to be used as soon as possible to be effective.  Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon