Looking more bald than before the hair transplant (Photo)

Hi I recently had FUE in my crown area and at the front where I was receding, I am coming up to 4 weeks post op. The hair looks a lot more bald and thin then before I had the transplant, is this normal?

Shock loss post her transplant surgery

It looks like you may be experiencing shock loss from the hair transplant surgery. Generally the majority of this hair comes back. I would recommend you follow up with your doctor who can examine you in person and better discuss what exactly is going on.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Did you develop shock loss

Shock loss occurs after a hair transplant when the person is young and male and is not treated with the drug finasteride. See video below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning following hair transplant

It may occur due to the shock loss following the transplant or the longer original hair which were already covering the bald area and the surrounding area have been trimmed making it appear more bald.....

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shock Loss after hair transplantation

It seems as a shock loss but nothing to worry.Share the final situation with your surgeon and most probably he/she will tell that after three months there will be no problem with shock loss.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

It takes 6 to 12 months to see growth after surgery. At 4 weeks you may look WORSE since you may also lose existing native hair

It takes 6 to 12 months to see growth after surgery. At 4 weeks you may look WORSE since you may also lose existing native hairs from shock hair loss.  Follow up with your doctor if you have concerns.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinner after surgery

What you are experiencing is shock loss in the recipient area. This is from the trauma of the surgery.  This will improve over time. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

More bald

Transplants go through weird phases so it could be normal but a follow up is a good idea.  Remember, transplants do not always work and they do not stop hair loss so you have to be ready for the good and the bad. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Thinning after Hair Transplant

Yes, this normal. In my clinic I tell all patients that if I work in an area that has some hair to begin with we are going to shave it to be able to see better during the procedure. So that will make it look thinner to begin with. After that, the trauma to the skin from the surgery may put those native hairs into a sleeping or slower growing mode for up to six months. But thereafter should pick back up.

Dr. Feller

Alan S. Feller, DO
Great Neck Hair Restoration Surgeon