Donor area hair still not growing back 8 months post FUE (Photo)

Hi! I just want to ask why is my donor area's hairs still not growing back? I saw a lot of dead spots and most of the hair are thin from that area as you can see in the pictures. Is it still in state of shock loss or Im just a slow healer? Or a case of over havesting from that area? Because most of the transplanted hair are came from that area. Its been 8 months since I had FUE to lower my hairline. Last night,I just notice that a lot of new hair are starting to grow in my recipient area. Thanks

8 months is a long time

I have seen FUE donor areas take as long as 6 months to recover, but not 8 months as yet.

The problem with FUE is that it causes a lot of damage to the surrounding vasculature, especially megasession FUE transplants. This is because all those little incisions add up to a big incision. The small incisions coalesce together to form a fibrotic sheet that is hostile to vascular regrowth. Add to this the fact that a large number hairs were removed from the area and you have thin patches like yours. 

Dr. Feller

Great Neck Hair Restoration Surgeon

Donor area thinning after hair surgery

Over harvesting in FUE hair surgery might be possible but 8 months is a bit more than usual recovery after such problems.It is better to check with your hair surgeon soon as possible.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

FUE donor area thinning after hair transplant

Thinning of the donor area is one of the factors that has to be discussed as a potential side effect of FUE harvesting with the client. When the surgeon harvests from the back and moves the hair to the front, the areas where the hair was taken from will not grow hair and leaves a small scar for each punch. This will result in general thinning in the donor area.  This becomes more apparent in larger sessions of FUE. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Donor area not growing after FUE

The only reason I know of for loss of donor area 8 months post op from FUE would be over harvesting.  You should first go back to the original surgeon and get his/her opinion of the situation. 

If the area is to thin from over harvesting, then cellular therapy might be a good option to help stimulate any remaining stem cells in the area to grow.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

The donor hairs do not grow.

They are moved.  The art is in harvesting just the right amount.  If its thin it may be shock or over harvest. This harvesting may look thin if they over harvest a small area (many non-western countries do large cases to please the patient not warning of the over harvest). 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Failure of the donor area to grow back

First, go back to your doctor to get his/her opinion. There are man causes for this and without examining you, I can not tell over the internet what is going on. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Recipient area not growing after fue

There are two reasons for the sparse density.  First could be shock loss,  for which you need a dermatologist to help to stimulate those hairs intro anagen (growth phase). Second could be over harvesting from that area.  If too much hair was harvested from that area,  it will stay sparse and the only treatment would be transplanting grafts into that area. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Your donor hair will NOT grow back after harvesting of grafts. If too much FUE grafts were taken your donor area will look "thi

Your donor hair will NOT grow back after harvesting of grafts. If too much FUE grafts were taken your donor area will look "thin".  If you are concerned see your doctor for a recheck.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon