Can blepharoplasty surgery be performed on someone with cataracts who's 75 years of age?

The cataract surgery was done on both eyes in 2015.

Blepharoplasty can be performed on an older patient with cataracts.

Cataracts are not a contraindication to blepharoplasty. The big issue would be the integrity of the support for the lower lid as well as adequate lubrication for the eyes. The plastic surgeon would do this with the advise and consent of the ophthalmologist.

Cataracts and Blepharoplasty

I perform the eyelid blepharoplasty every week on patients that have had cataracts. Now that you can see better, it is a great time to make the eyes brighter!

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best age for blepharoplasty... is there a time limit.

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Non of the above mentioned concerns (cataracts or your age) should preclude you from undergoing eyelid surgery.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Cataracts and blepharoplasty

Prior cataract surgery will not effect your ability to get a blepharoplasty. One is in the eyeball, and the other is the eyelid. I personally perform almost all of my eyelid surgery in the office using local anesthetic. See someone with extensive experience.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

The important issue with eyelid surgery is not the cataract.

The important issue is dry eye.  Eyelid surgery will affect eyelid closure.  Specialized techniques are generally beneficial in the design of eyelid surgery in the setting of dry eye.  I encourage you to find an eyelid surgeon who is also a board certified ophthalmologist to is able to assess the health of the eyes and determine if surgery is appropriate for you.

Eyelid surgery afterm cataracts

Dear reALIZe:

Thanks for your question. I have always felt that numeric age alone, in an otherwise healthy older person, is not an absolute contra-indication to having facial cosmetic surgery. I have performed such surgeries on patients in their eighties. Even having cataracts removed last year, assuming there are no residual visual problems, and no eye irritations persisting, should not keep one from having eyelid rejuvenation by an experienced surgeon. We do not perform any maneuvers directly to the globe of  the eye with blepharoplasty, and, in fact, protect the eyeball throughout the procedure. I perform my eyelid procedures under local anesthesia with sedation, and this adds further safeguards, when the patient can respond about comfort issues while we are performing the surgery. Seek consultaton with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss these issues--and Good luck!

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Previous cataract surgery should not interfere with cosmetic upper/lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  Proper medical clearance from your doctor(s) should always been obtained in advance of surgical procedures.

Trust your face to a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or a board-certified plastic surgeon with very extensive blepharoplasty experience.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon