How soon can I drive home after upper eyelid surgery? 1300 mile round trip.

My husband is not able to go to work at the last minute. If I reschedule now, I feel, I'll have to reschedule again and again. Until I won't get it at all. The procedure has already been dropped from what I actually wanted to do (several things) to just this one he says just for now..

How soon to drive home after upper eyelid surgery

Follow-up with your surgeon is of the most importannce, so probably plan on spending at least a week in that location. It is totally acceptable to fly/drive home at that point. Plan on following up with your surgeon in a month or two after the surgery.

Driving after Eyelid Surgery

I assume you are referring to Upper Blepharoplasty.  As stated previously, you could be driven (by a responsible adult) home the day after surgery.  I would not advise this as it would be wise to remain near your surgeon for the first week after surgery in case any complications were to develop.  I would not advise driving yourself on a long trip like you propose for at least 1-2 weeks after surgery.

Eyelid surgery drive home

This all depends on level and type of anesthesia and what medications your are taking after and the level of swelling afterwards.  

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

You can easily be driven home the next day. Otherwise if you are driving you need to wait for the swelling to go away. You would then have to turn around for another round trip for your followup and suture removal a few days later. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

It is one thing to drive to the store a few days after a blepharoplasty.

It is entirely something else to have to drive 1300 miles.  I would encourage you to fly this distance.  At a minimum you should stay close to your surgeon the first week until all sutures are removed before making such a drive.  Even then, I do not think such a drive is realistic.

Long distance driving after upper blepharoplasty

Every surgeon has different rules. In my practice, I allow patients to start driving on day 3 or 4 with the reason being that they use an antibiotic ointment day and night for the first 3 days and then at night only. Using the ointment properly, it would be impossible to drive due to the blurry vision - especially such a long distance. Also, please remember than while upper blepharoplasty is a fairly minor procedure, you will not feel completely "back to normal" and able to drive long for a minimum of 6-8 hours. Please do communicate with your surgeon and let him/her know the situation 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon