How soon can you go back to a physical job after breast augmentation, specifically exotic dancing?

Does your dancing involve pole dancing?

If so, you could return to work 3 weeks post-op BUT your implants would have to go above your muscle.  If you didn't do dancing that required use of your chest muscles, then you could probably return to work in 2 weeks if you can avoid the strenuous and bouncy activities.  And patrons cannot touch/squeeze until you're fully healed.  But these are my guidelines and you should really be following the recommendations of your surgeon and no one elses.

How soon can I return to work after Breast Augmentation surgery?

I’ve performed Breast Augmentation on many women in Las Vegas who are dancers. During recovery, I recommend no strenuous exercise/activity for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Patients who are dancers seem to have different degrees of physical activity at their jobs. If your dancing involves pushing yourself up or working on the pole, then you will need to take 4-6 weeks off or go back to light duty. If not, you may be able to return in 2 weeks depending upon your healing. The board certified plastic surgeon you choose for your surgery will be able to give you personalized and specific recommendations. Best of luck with your surgery!

Going back to physical job after breast augmentation

Hi Pshms,

Thank you for your question. My typical patient feels reasonably well after 2-3 days (off narcotic pain meds except at night for sleep). Most patients do reasonable well returning to work after this period of time also, as long as their work is not physically demanding, you take it easy, and don't do anything overly strenuous. Many of my patients have returned to a desk-type job on Monday or Tuesday after a breast augmentation on Thursday or Friday. I recommend taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen for soreness and icing frequently.  For a dancer, I would likely recommend at least 2-3 weeks off to allow your body to heal well before going back to strenuous work.

Usually you can be back to light, lower body, non-impact exercise (stationary bike or legs-only eliptical) within 10 days to 2 weeks after your breast augmentation and back to the same level of activity and exercise you were doing on the day before your procedure by 4-5 weeks after. I would encourage you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with breast augmentation expertise with before and after photos that you like to explore your treatment options.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation post op care

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to discuss any questions or concerns with your operating surgeon first, as every surgeon has their own unique set of post operative instructions for their patients.  That being said, we often advise our patients to wait at least three weeks after surgery, before beginning full exercise except chest and shoulder exercises such as bench press, shoulder-press or push-ups. We further advise our patients that they may resume such activities as jogging, aerobics, Stair-master, arm exercises, and leg exercises. If any activity causes pain, please discontinue it. We ask our patients to avoid any activity that is fairly traumatic for three months after your surgery such as water-skiing, snowboarding and diving. If you are undertaking any activity and notice pain in the operated area, please stop immediately.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Wait at least two preferably three weeks especially if implants will be paced under the chest muscle. Of course follow the specific recommendations of your surgeon.

Activity after BA

Thank you for your question. Surgeons have varying recommendations, but generally after a few weeks of healing you can do most activities. It would be good to have your surgeon take a look at your incision just before you plan to go back to work to be sure it is safe. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - how soon back to exotic dancing?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• For strenuous exercise, six weeks is a standard guide.
  • This is especially true for exotic dancers, who often get implants that are large for their frame.
  • If you select very large implants, you may still hurt after 6 weeks as your body adapts but dancing will be safe, if not comfortable.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I tell my patients that they should not do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for six weeks following the breast augmentation procedure.  The post-op protocol varies from surgeon to surgeon so it would be best for you to seek the advice of your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

6 weeks

Thanks for your questions. This may depend in the size of your breast implants, but most patients I've seen return to exotic dancing in about 6 weeks. Your plastic surgeon is going to be the best source for recovery questions depending on what is done. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

How soon after a breast augmentation can you do exotic dancing?

From my perspective, activity restrictions are quite strict within the first few weeks for any patient after breast augmentation. Activity restrictions are especially important for you in order to help avoid complications. Here is what I recommend for you.
No lifting your arms above shoulder level for 2 weeks. Between 2-4 weeks, you can raise your arms carefully and deliberately. Between 4-6 weeks  you can increase your activity to normal daily activities. At 6 weeks, you can resume controlled exercise, but nothing like running or dancing that makes the breasts bounce up-and-down. Some pole dancing is fine at this point  with breast support. 
No one other than you should be touching your breasts before 6 weeks after surgery. 
At 12 weeks after surgery, you may resume any activities  you would like including those that make the breasts bounce up-and-down. However I advise consistently wearing underwire support whenever possible,  particularly during these very active times. 

Orna Fisher, MD