Botox injections. 50 units for between brows? (Photo)

I had a consultation with a doctor for Botox injections. Between the brows. I think I mostly have a "1" not an "11". See photos. She recommends 50 units! Isn't this way too much? I did purchase a groupon. I'm thinking maybe she just wants more money. Please advise. Thank you.

Botox to glabella

Thank you for your question.I would ask what product the doctor is injecting. In my experience some clinicians who use Dysport typically use 50 or more units in a treatment area. If they are using Botox it should take a max of 25 units.  Is this a board certified PS? Good luck.

Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Botox for forehead scowl lines

I agree with you in that to treat the Glabellar area typically requires 17.5 to perhaps a maximum of 27.5 units. You can use the other units elsewhere but I cannot imagine more than that amount in that area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Units of Botox

Hello ~ In general the area that you want treated should take 20-25 units of botox. If your injector is using another product, Dysport, it could take 5-60 units. It would be a good idea to clarify which neurotoxin is being used. Good Luck!

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

50 units of Botox

Thank you for your question.  Allergan the manufactures of Botox recommend 20-25 units for 1 area.  From my own personal experience injecting, I feel that this is generally an appropriate amount. It is important to have your Botox injected in an office where a Board Certified Plastic surgeon over sees the treatments to make sure that you achieve maximum benefits. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

50 Units for Botox in Glabella

Well 50 units for Botox in your Glabella does seem like a lot. Have you had Botox before? And did you respond to it differently? Also is the injector using Botox or Dysport? Because with Dysport it is typical to use 50 units. Please be sure you are seeing a Board Certified Professional before going further.

Botox dosing

Is it Botox or Dysport that your injector is using? They are different and require different units to achieve result.  Using a groupon for a neurotoxin is not a good idea.  I would consult with a board certified PS/derm.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

50 units

Thank you for your question and photographs.  50 units of Botox cosmetic to treat only the glabella for the "11s" you are concerned with does seem to be quite a large dose.  Be careful to select an injector who is experienced and certified to perform any injectable procedure.  Best of luck.

Frown lines and Botox

Using Botox for treating the "11s" or the "1" as you describe, should be adequately treated with 20 U of botox.  50 U seems excessive. However, if you are treating any other areas, you may utilize a full 50 units.  In general, groupon is not a great way to seek medical treatments...

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Botox for glabellar frown lines.

Botox results are directly proportionate to the dose of botox delivered.  Results can be seen with even a small amount of botox (only a few units), but more profound and longer lasting results are seen with higher doses.  50 units is fine.

Botox between the brows

A typical starting dose for botox to the glabellar area (between the eyebrows) is 25 units. This is for Botox Cosmetic (onabotulinum toxin) and Xeomin (incobotulinum toxin). Dysport is dosed differently (higher). 50 units for Botox Cosmetic or Xeomin is too high as a starting dose.

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon