How can I change a smile line to look more symmetric? (photo)

My smile lines are completely different on the left and right and I am very self conscious about this. Can I fix this non invasively? Would fillers or Botox work? My top lip has a higher arch as well which I feel emphasizes the unevenness. Would fixing that help?

Asymmetrical smile

Minor facial asymmetry, such as yours, is very common, if not universal. A resting picture would also be useful  in evaluating your mouth and smile lines. Muscles on either side of your face are not always symmetrically placed and cause asymmetry of your smile.  Other factors such as sleeping on one side more than the other, or more sun damage on one side, can also contribute to facial asymmetry. Attempting correction with Botox injection in any of the smile muscles has to approached cautiously as there is a risk of making it worse, albeit temporarily. Keep in mind that not all asymmetries can be corrected. Sometimes, it's best to leave well enough alone. If you decide to proceed with Botox make sure you select a very experienced injector who is specifically interested and trained in aesthetics. 

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Asymmetric smile

Thank you for your photograph and question.  Carefully placed Botox and/or filler injections are good options for improving facial asymmetry.  Best to consult with an experienced, certified injector.  Best of luck.

Fillers

Thank you for your question smile56789. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. Fillers such as Voluma will help restore volume loss in the upper cheeks, which is often the cause of the smile lines or nasolabial folds. Fillers such as Juvederm can be placed in the lips to improve symmetry. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Achieving a more balanced smile

It sounds like you need to have a consultation with an experienced board certified injector.  Uneven smile lines are often the result of volume loss elsewhere in the face.  Often using fillers such as Radiesse or Voluma to lift the fold results in a more balanced appearance.  I always review photographs of the patients face with each patient looking at the whole face, rather than just folds or lines and explain where it's best to treat and with which product or device.  We get excellent results recontouring and the face with injectable fillers in combination with Botox, Dysport or Xeomin. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Smile

Some of the asymmetry can be corrected with careful placement of fillers. It also appears that the asymmetry is caused by your dentition and braces would help as well. Best, Dr. Green

Facial asymmetry

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. I do think your subtle facial asymmetry could be improved with carefully placed filler. I always remind me patients that everyone's face is asymmetric, and in chasing "perfect" symmetry one runs the risk of adding more product than is really needed. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Asymmetrical smile

Certainly, anything that is done should look natural even when you are not smiling. A bit of Botox to the left side of the face, just along the lip elevators should decrease the excessive  length of your smile.Using fillers such as juvederm to the right side of the mouth can adjust  the contour differences of the upper lip.  This combination  treatment usually can improve an asymmetrical smile better then surgery, with no down time.Best regards,Prashant Soni. M.D.

Prashant Soni, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Uneven smile lines

No one is actually symmetrical so your problem is not that unusual and can be helped with a combination of filling material and Botox. See a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Fillers for aysmmetry

Putting more filler in the deeper line will improve the symmetry. Using Botox to lower the lip can help but is tricky as it can drop the lip too much. RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric smile

I would need to examine you at rest to determine if filler were an option. Otherwise, a very small amount of Botox on the left side to limit the smile could help. I'd recommend seeing someone with extensive experience as this type of treatment can be a bit tricky.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Facial Rejuvenation SpecialistQuintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon