How long does a botox injection take to wear off?

When you say 3-4 months to wear off are you meaning 12-16 weeks or actual months which would be more like 13.5-18 weeks? And if somebody is bedridden will the botox injection take longer to wear off?

Botox duration

Thank you for your question gildi67. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. The pivotal studies demonstrated that most people enjoy their results for 90-120 days. Many doctors use 3-4 months or 12-16 weeks as an estimate. There have been no studies on the longevity of Botox on people who are bedridden. But I do not think the duration would be much different that ambulatory people. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Encino Physician

Thank you for your question.  There is quite a bit of variation between patients as to how long their Botox lasts. Typically after 3 or 4 months (12-16 weeks) patients will begin to see a lessening of the effect. Most patients don't let the effects totally dissipate before being reinjected since they typically like the results. Patient genetics, age, and length of time using the product can all effect how long it lasts.  The amount of product that has been used and technique can also have an impact .  I hope this helps.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX® typically wears off within 12 to 16 weeks.

There are a number of factors that determine how long you can expect your BOTOX® results to last. Where you receive the injection, how much BOTOX® you get, your facial anatomy and genetic makeup as well as the skill of the injector will all influence how long the BOTOX® stays in your system, but in general, most people notice the effects wearing off within 12 to 16 weeks. Being bedridden won’t likely extend your BOTOX® results.

Longevity of Botox

Botox wears off every 3-6 months (12-16 weeks). Some people like to wait for the Botox to completely wear off before getting new injections and others get new injections at the first sign there are wrinkles.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Duration of Botox Treatment and Maintenance

Thank you very much for your question. On average, the results from Botox injections will last between three and four months, about 12-16 weeks. This will depend on the individual patient, the area being treated, and the extent of correction. You will notice the benefits of the toxin slowly wearing off, at which time a maintenance treatment will extend the results. To get a better idea of your expected results, I recommend a consultation with an experienced Botox provider. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Botox longevity

Botox on average lasts 3-4 months.  I don't believe there would be any correlation to being bedridden and the longevity of your botox.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Long long for Botox to wear off

Good question. Botox cosmetic is known to loose it's affect in approximately 3 to 4 months (12 to 16 weeks).  Best of luck.

Duration of Botox

Botox/Dysport typically last 3months or 12 weeks, and after or slightly before that it begins to slowly wear off. The duration of Botox should not be affected by whether the patient is bedridden or not. Best wishes. Benjamin J. Cousins MDBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Results / What Age To Start? / When Wear Off?

It takes 3-4 months for botox to wear off. I suggest you see an expert if you are concerned about your outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and Effect

It takes three or four months for the full effect of Botox to wear off and it wears off differently with various people and anatomic locations.  Best, Dr. Green