How long does a botox injection take to wear off?

When you say 3-4 months to wear off are you meaning 12-16 weeks or actual months which would be more like 13.5-18 weeks? And if somebody is bedridden will the botox injection take longer to wear off?

Botox duration

Thank you for your question gildi67. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. The pivotal studies demonstrated that most people enjoy their results for 90-120 days. Many doctors use 3-4 months or 12-16 weeks as an estimate. There have been no studies on the longevity of Botox on people who are bedridden. But I do not think the duration would be much different that ambulatory people. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Botox duration

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  There is quite a bit of variation between patients as to how long their Botox lasts. Typically after 3 or 4 months (12-16 weeks) patients will begin to see a lessening of the effect. Most patients don't let the effects totally dissipate before being reinjected since they typically like the results. Patient genetics, age, and length of time using the product can all effect how long it lasts.  The amount of product that has been used and technique can also have an impact .  I hope this helps.

Botox® on average lasts about 4 months, can last as long 6 months, and lack of activity will not make it last longer

Thank you for your question. You’re asking about the duration of Botox® effects, and whether or not there’s an effect if someone is bedridden. I can certainly give you my answer to patients who ask this question and others about Botox® every day in my practice.

A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I have been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. My fellow colleagues in my specialty were among the first to use Botox® for patients since 1993.

The question I’m asked about Botox® every day is about the longevity. The bedridden part of the question is actually kind of unusual. To really understand this, let’s start with some basic science about how Botox® works. Essentially, Botox® is a neurotoxin that relaxes muscles. It binds to very specific receptors that prevent the nerve from telling the muscle to contract. That said, in the lifestyle of someone who typically does Botox®, for example on the face for common areas like crow’s feet lines, forehead lines and frown lines, typically the effect reaches a peak in about two weeks.

When you ask how long does the effect last, it can last as long as 6 months, but on average, I tell my patients the benefit you like seeing pretty wears off by 4 months. Generally, people with these types of treatments does it once every 4 months. Some people are too busy, or just don’t have the budget for it, will come twice a year. The point is it’s not necessarily an on and off switch - it’s a gradual progressive return of function. Now, there is variation as in some people it wears off a little faster, and in others it lasts a little longer. It’s comparable in some ways like injectable fillers like HA fillers, the hyaluronic acid fillers.

Botox® treatment is always individualized, and it is about what the individual feels is the look and function they are comfortable with. Typically, people who want to maintain a certain look and more consistency come sooner, at around 3 months. Others will wait 4 to 6 months.

As far as being bedridden, there really is no significance to that because it doesn’t necessarily have to do with activity. When someone has a situation where the Botox® may have worked a little too well in an area they don’t want it in, they feel they can try to move that area, or try to get the muscles to move, but it doesn’t really make a difference. The protein actually binds with the receptor, which goes away on its own through your body’s internal molecular processes. It’s not likely that being bedridden will make much of a difference. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

BOTOX® typically wears off within 12 to 16 weeks.

There are a number of factors that determine how long you can expect your BOTOX® results to last. Where you receive the injection, how much BOTOX® you get, your facial anatomy and genetic makeup as well as the skill of the injector will all influence how long the BOTOX® stays in your system, but in general, most people notice the effects wearing off within 12 to 16 weeks. Being bedridden won’t likely extend your BOTOX® results.

Longevity of Botox

Botox wears off every 3-6 months (12-16 weeks). Some people like to wait for the Botox to completely wear off before getting new injections and others get new injections at the first sign there are wrinkles.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Longevity of Botox

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Duration of Botox Treatment and Maintenance

Thank you very much for your question. On average, the results from Botox injections will last between three and four months, about 12-16 weeks. This will depend on the individual patient, the area being treated, and the extent of correction. You will notice the benefits of the toxin slowly wearing off, at which time a maintenance treatment will extend the results. To get a better idea of your expected results, I recommend a consultation with an experienced Botox provider. 

Botox longevity

Botox on average lasts 3-4 months.  I don't believe there would be any correlation to being bedridden and the longevity of your botox.

Botox longevity

Long long for Botox to wear off

Good question. Botox cosmetic is known to loose it's affect in approximately 3 to 4 months (12 to 16 weeks).  Best of luck.

Long long for Botox to wear off

Duration of Botox

Botox/Dysport typically last 3months or 12 weeks, and after or slightly before that it begins to slowly wear off. The duration of Botox should not be affected by whether the patient is bedridden or not. Best wishes. Benjamin J. Cousins MDBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Botox

Botox and Results / What Age To Start? / When Wear Off?

It takes 3-4 months for botox to wear off. I suggest you see an expert if you are concerned about your outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer.